Five

"You don't remember anything? Not what he was wearing, his hair, his height?" The officer asked her.

"He just- had a gun, when I saw him and went to yell for my dad, he hit me with the butt of it and I fell, he kicked me out of the way, he went into the kitchen where my mom was and that's when my dad came downstairs- to me and he came back and shot my dad, my dad fell right in front of me and the man ran out of the front door- that's all I know." She spoke.

The officer nodded.

"Andrea- this isn't the first time your family has had a house invasion or needed medical attention due to-" "we live in a bad part of town." She mumbled.

"But no houses near yours have been broken into" he spoke.

She just slowly looked at him.

"What I'm asking is, do you know of any reason why your family would be targeted so often?" He asked.

Andrea.

Maybe because my dad owes about fifteen different people about thirteen thousand dollars each.

Maybe because my dad has ripped off so many people when it comes to buying drugs.

Maybe because my dad is such a fucking dumbass.

"I don't know" I spoke, trying hard to follow the story that my parents had told me to always follow when involved with the police, so we would all have the same story.

We don't know anything.

But I'm reality, we know fucking everything.

I could tell you the name of the man that broke into my house, I could tell you his clothes, his wife's name, the fact that his wife is pregnant with a baby boy, I knew exactly who it was

But I also knew that my dad was supposed to pay him five hundred dollars two weeks ago and has yet to do that.

So this was expected.

I just didn't expect him to shoot my dad.

"So did the man take anything?" The officer asked.

No, he was just giving us a warning

A warning that he was serious and he wanted his money.

"No, I don't think he expected us to be home." I spoke.

"Okay, well I'll speak to your dad when he comes out of surgery, but there's about ten police officers in this vicinity to protect your family, one will be right outside of the room all night, so you have nothing to worry about, just call him into your room if you remember anything." He spoke to me, making me nod.

"I'll try" I mumbled, making him look to Ashton.

"A word outside?"

Ashton glanced to me.

"You okay alone for a few seconds?"

I'm always alone

"Of course"