Chapter 42

The palace was in ruins and crumbled pieces of rock were scattered everywhere. Everyone stood in in the old throne room, where King Endon sat on the throne. He looked at May, then at Lief.
'' Lief, you may have not been my legitimate son, but I have always thought of you as my son and you always may be my son.'' He turned to May.'' My dear daughter... I have yet set your gratitude for your bravery and your courage has saved us all...'' He leaned back.'' I have waited 16 years for this and it's finally coming true, thanks to the two of you. We knew that even though we wanted too, we could never tell you the whole story. Because if you were going to be the next queen... You would of needed the people on our side just like Adin did, but on the day you were taken we thought everything was lost. But even though all that, we still managed to get you back." May's face remained emotionless, as she contained the cold tears from running down her face. Endon smiled weakly, then turned to Barda.
" I'm so sorry for keeping a secret from you, my old friend."
" You did what you had too..." said Barda, gravely. Endon nodded.
" May. Lief. Barda. You three have accomplished something extraordinary, something that I could not. Not only did you bring back the seven gems, but you rekindled the bonds that united the tribes together. You corrected all my wrongs..." His head hung low.
" Endon!" cried Sharn, holding his hand. He grasped them tightly with a meaningful look in his eyes. She settled down and he continued talking.
He looked at the crowd that surrounded him, and he bowed his head low.
" I know, your quest in search of the seven gems to save Deltora has been a time of danger, suffering and much sacrifice... But still, these were the main elements of your quest that inspired others to join you on your quest. And that's where your quest... Your bravery will be spoken of, in years to come... Just as Adin's story had been told... to you..."
Endon was at his last breath, and his eyesight blurred as he watched everyone for the last time. He looked at Lief with a smile and voiced what he wanted to say to Lief, himself. Protect her... Lief nodded, as May cried into his chest. Barda placed his arm across his chest, and bowed low, and he was soon followed by everyone. Endon closed his eyes ever so slowly as his body suddenly became limp, a body that later sat on top of the old throne, that once ruled Deltora. Lief watched Sharn hold Endon in her arms crying softly, small whimpers echoing across the stony plains. His face was held grim, as he held May in his arms. He looked at the old king on the throne, who was once his father and will always be. His body trembling from head to toe.
" Father, I will not let you down.'' He whispered.'' I will protect our queen, I solemly promise you that!'' The world seemed to be still for everyone, the morning sun peaked over the distance mountain tops. The crumbled, old bell-tower rang its bells throughout the palace grounds. May looked up at the king with tears bustling out like wildfire. She wiped her eyes and looked at the people around her, her mind sprouting many questions, one after another other. She looked up to see Lief's gentle face, his eyes closed with exhaustion and she smiled. She threw out any doubts she had and cuddled herself within his arms. She might as well enjoy the moment while it lasted.

~THE END~