Vanilla Shampoo

Hermione's PoV

I was sitting in the library, doing research on the Bonding Potion for my essay, when I caught the familiar smell of Amortentia. There was the vanilla shampoo, prominent even through the smell of old books that was surrounding me. I stood up suddenly, eager to see who the love of my life was. I couldn't see anything through the bookshelves around me. Curse my love of tucking myself away between as many books as possible! Curse it!

I shrugged and sat down, feeling disappointed, but i shrugged and I went back to my learning.

"Oi, Granger, Are you really studying on the second week back from holidays? What a nerd!" I looked up to see Pansy Parkinson round the corner looking sulky and radiant as usual. I looked back don at my books to disguise my blush, and I saw her step closer out of the corner of my eye. I sniffed haughtily in the pretense of not caring what she did, and I was overwhelmed by the smell of... Vanilla shampoo!

Shocked beyond belief, I grabbed my books and stumbled out of my nook, leaving Pansy confused in my wake.

Pansy's PoV

I smirked at Hermione cruelly, trying to hide the fact of my crush on her. How could Hermione Granger, queen of Gryffindor and Straight-O student ever look twice at me? Even if I'd never been rude to her she would still never like me.

"Oi, Granger, are you really studying on the second week back from holidays? What a nerd!" the words caught slightly in the back of my throat, and I hated myself for being so cruel. Hermione had even tried to put the hate of the past behind us and make friends with us, but that was a work in progress. I stepped towards her, unsure of what I planned to do, when all of a sudden, she gathered up her books and sprinted from the library. I stared after her in shock, very confused about what I had done to have that effect on her. I shrugged and sat down, deciding I liked this secluded corner of the library.

I like it here, I thought, it smells like Hermione, and even though she would never love me I can't help but keep on banging my head while falling for her.

Hermione's PoV

"Ginny! I yelled, pausing quickly to yodel at Fred before rushing into our living area, "I know who my Amortentia smells like! It's Pansy Parkinson!"