Chapter 17 | rings

A/n: there's a bigger a/n at the bottom right is read

There you stood, soaked and winged, L standing before you on the balcony of the fancy hotel. He seemed nervous, wondering what exactly you had to say. What Aphrodite had to say.

"L... you're a very old soul, you've had many many past lives before. But, your soul has been lost for years. You've lived many lives without a soulmate" you began.

"Did... Aphrodite call you up to talk about me?" He asked.

"Yes, you and a bit about kira. She gave me these"

You held the shell box out, opening it before him. He looked down at the rings, impressed by their beauty. Of course something given to you by Aphrodite would be beautiful.

"These are soul rings. They bind two lost souls together. The reason your soul is lost is because your soulmate died and stopped reincarnating, so your soul has been stuck searching for her for many lives"

A sudden realisation struck him, and his expression when from his usual tired one to a look of shock.

"No..."

"Yes, we know about your little crush darling. And it's because your soul has found its mate after centuries. I never thought I'd end up in his situation, I'm sure you never did either, but... here I am" you said.

"B-but aren't there rules that stop us from being together? I'm a human you're a goddess, you're more powerful than anyone on this planet-" he stammered.

"Eros and psyche, hades and Persephone? It's happened before. There's nothing keeping us apart, no rules. Only Kira. And that's something we can defeat"

You grabbed one of the rings, reaching out for his hand and pulling toward you. You felt him shiver slightly from the cold wind, his hands were cold, his skin soft, the warmth from your hands soaking into it. Slipping the ring on his finger, you watched the stone glow as it reached the vein that lead up to his heart.

"When we wear these, our souls will be bound again. I may be a goddess but that doesn't change the fact we're soulmates" You said.

Taking the second ring and slipping it on you finger, the stone flashed the same light for a moment.

"There's a bit more to this. As long as we wear the rings, if we grow as a relationship to the point we become one, you'll end up just just psyche did. Immortal. We can't cheat the system though, it has to be completely natural"

"Become one? As in-"

"I know you aren't ready for that, but in time my dear. We'll take everything slow and naturally. As long as we get to that point before kira can hurt you, you'll be safe. But something tells me that if the Kami are involved there's going to be a a lot more too this case than just the risk of you having a heart attack. Listen, Lawliet. I know you're not ready for such an act yet, I know this is all out of the blue, I know there's a lot to take in. I'm not going to force you into anything. When you're ready, you're ready"

He looked down at the ring, a gift from Aphrodite to you specifically to give to him. One of the most powerful goddesses of love was approving his crush on you, telling him to peruse it. You were telling him you loved him, and that there's nothing stopping him from loving you. All the nights he stayed awake confused and conflicted were paying off, all the emotions he didn't understand starting to make sense.

You, a goddess of love were his soulmate. The mate his soul lost centuries ago, finally found again and in the best possible time. When kira started to call for his head, a literal goddess descended before him to defend him. That goddess being his lost soulmate.

Looking into the stone of that ring, standing out in the rain with the lost love of his life before him, at all came crashing upon him like a pile of bricks. Hundreds of past lives of loneliness and grief, sorrow and frustration all at once. His soul crying inside him, and his body crying outside him.

You watched him tear up, take a shaky breath, then break down into sobs. You pulled him into a very wet but warm hug under the clouds that rained down upon you. Listening to him cry into your chest, gently rubbing his back to calm him. Not only had his soul been so lonely, so had he. Abused, abandoned and isolated. His time in this life thus far was a dreadful one. He was one of the most powerful humans in the world with his job, but the weakest in his emotions.

For the first time in centuries, he was loved.

Reunited with the girl how past self had lost, same person, different name, different form.

You'd never seen him this emotional before, but you understood why he suddenly broke. He'd been in pain for so long he couldn't handle the affirmation of love before him. And so he was left crying in the arms of his lover in the rain on a hotel balcony.

"I missed you so much" he said, shaky voice and tired tone, his soul showing through his words.

"I missed you too... even though we didn't know it for so long. I now know the loneliness I felt was because of loosing you. But not this time... never again" you replied, feeling like crying yourself.

But, you had to be the strong one here. A love goddess needs to be the giver in times like this.

"I love you, (y/n)"

You smirked down at him, brining the ringed hand up to his cheek.

"I love you too, Lawliet"

Letting the instinct take over, you leaned in to meet his lips. Catching him slightly off guard but he didn't protest. Having waited several lives for this. He felt warm, tingly, heart racing, mentally cheering, shyness and joy and pure happiness all at once. This was what he'd waited for, someone to break the loneliness, someone to love him. As the kiss broke, you watched the clouds start to disperse from your peripheral vision, the white noise of rain stopping. But you kept focused on him and his smile. Wrapping his arms around you and resting his head on your chest, he held you tight, as if it was his last moments alive.

"Thank you... for everything"

Nothing could stop the race of joy you felt seeing someone so in love, with you being the added bonus. Nothing could ruin the moment.

Not even the event that you did not yet know was occurring, in another street in Japan...

"Light, could you answer the door please?"

"Yeah one second!"

Walking down the stairs, the suspect in question headed for the front door. When he opened it he found a girl that seemed familiar, but he didn't know.

"Uh- nice time meet you, I'm Misa Amane. I know you don't know me but, I have something of use to you, Light Yagami"

"How did-"

The girl grabbed his hands, placing something in them. Before his eyes, behind the gothic girl stood another Shinigami.

A/n: ok so imma address two things related to the book and one other buggier thing.

1) it's very funny that there's lore of Olympus fans here viewing the deities as that version of them. I'm a practicing witch so I'm writing them based off the mythology, and trying to be as respectful to them as I can. It's funny to see these comments though.

2) yes there will be a smut in the future. If you don't want to wait, I have a smut book for L (it's kinky tho)