Chapter 63 | search

"Well... this is a problem" you said.

You and L stood on the empty beach, wind messing up the feathers on your wings.

"We must have missed somewhere" L replied.

You'd gone all the way from Tokyo to Akita and hit the beach. If you kept going forward you'd leave Japan. You'd checked every hotel in the area, ruling out the possibility they were hiding at a hotel. The waves washed up against your ankles, sun rising over the horizon painting the scenery in a golden light.

"Better get under some shade soon or you're gonna end up with half your shoulder and chest sunburnt" you said.

The god robes came up over one shoulder, the other exposed. It dipped down to above his hips, only half his chest covered. The rest came down into skirt like garment a gold belt around his waist. And with how pale L is, he's gonna end up a half burnt chest. The goddess robes were a halter neck, with the same skirt and belt shape at the bottom. You'd get your shoulders burnt too if you stayed out in this gear too long. Not to mention the lack of a back covering on the both of you to allow wing room.

"Where the hell can he be? We know he's in Akita, but if he's not in any hotel then where is he staying? If he's got zeph too then it's gotta be someone that can be locked so she can't get out" L questioned.

"I have no idea. Hopefully Aphrodite can find his life pond soon. Or maybe Zeph can send a signal?" You said.

"Why hasn't she? She'd have her satchel with her right?"

"Light probably took it. If he has her sacred items and he's figuring out witchcraft this can't be good"

L sighed, looking out at the ocean.

"God this is so frustrating. Poseidon can just make the ocean sweep me up now I'm so tired of this" L said.

"I know it's frustrating, but if Zeph is hurt we gotta get her help. Not to mention we have that deal with Rem, we gotta get Misa out too" you replied.

L turned to you, giving you a conflicted look.

"I have a bad feeling about this. I don't know what but something is going on wherever they are I can feel it" he said.

"I feel that too... I don't know what it is though" you replied.

You stood in silence for a moment, trying to figure something, anything out. Where on earth could light be? How much does he know? How much power has he gotten? The streets in Japan are getting less and less busy by the day, people are starting to get scared of Kira's high numbers of killings. If this continues at this rate within a year he'll be able to achieve breaking out mass panic.

"Let's check abandoned places, that's a good hiding spot in this situation" you suggested.

"There's so many, it'll take months" L replied.

"Well hopefully if we start looking, either Aphrodite will find the location via the ponds or zeph can get her stuff back to send a signal"

"I guess it's all we can really do... I'm getting so sick of this. I miss just being able to... vibe together"

"Vibe?"

"Matt taught me that slang"

"Ah, that makes sense. Bit out of character there"

You wrapped an arm around him, looking out to sea. He rested his head on your shoulder, hugging you from the side. You missed 'vibing' too. When this was all over you're taking a damn gap year with him where you both sit around in the aether and do nothing. A well earned break is truly needed after this bullshit.

"The day before he stole the books was such a good one. Should have taken that as a warning. Calm before the storm" L said.

"What? It's good because you got laid that day?" You joked.

"That may be part of it... but no seriously. It was just a peaceful day, running errands, talking about life like kira wasn't a thing. It felt like we were just some old married couple living life you know?"

"I can tell you why. Because our souls really are an old married couple. Soulmates since the beginning of time, and now till the end of it"

He placed a kiss on your cheek, hug tightening.

"I love you" he sighed.

"I love you too sweetheart"

"When this is over I'm not doing another case for at least a year. I don't have the strength"

"Fair. I don't have the strength either"

Linking your hand with his, you began to head but you the shore to continue the search. You just wanted it to be over already.

Up in the highlands, Dionysus was babysitting the boys while Aphrodite looked for lights life pond in the acres of ponds that dotted the aether. The only reason she was able to tap into L's up at her personal viewing pond was because she'd met him before. She hadn't met Light, she couldn't channel the energy into it.

The boys were teaching Dionysus modern day schoolyard games. Hopscotch, four square, double Dutch skipping all the classics. Apart from visits to you and L, he hadn't been down to the human realm in centuries. And watching schools isn't really his favourite past time, theatre is.

Ra walked in, looking around for Aphrodite.

"Dionysus, where's Aphrodite?" He said.

Dionysus almost missed the four square ball when he heard Ra's sudden presence. The game paused and the boys all turned to face him.

"Oh, she's still looking for the Yagami kids life pond" he said.

Ra handed him a box, opening it revealed a ring.

"What's this? Your proposing? Don't you have a wife already" Dionysus joked.

"L and (y/n) asked Anubis to get something from one of Misa's past lives a while ago. I'm just delivering it. I figured I'd bring it to Aphrodite since she has direct contact with them" Ra explained.

"Why do they want something from Misa's past life?"

"They have a theory it'll trigger her past memories. They kind of need her to remember all she can"

"Ah, I see. I'll give it aph when she gets back. She'll relay to to them. If only one of us had met Misa, we'd be able to find light though her if we had" Dionysus said.

"If zephyr was still alive and not a deity we could teach her through a life pond. Luck really isn't on our side... well I have the usual god stuff to deal with. Continue your... ball... game thing" Ra replied.

"Oh it's called four square, the boys taught me it. It's so fun, you gotta try it one day"

"Yeah I bet a Kami would be better at it than Matt" Mello jumped in.

"Hey! I'm the best one here at it thank you" Matt replied.

"Yeah that's why you're in the lowest ranked square at the moment"

"You just double bounced it and it went over my head!"

"Guys I'm literally the one in the king square. You both suck" near jumped in.

Dionysus watched the boys get into an argument, Ra looking over this shoulder.

"Good luck with that" He said, beginning to leave.

"Wha- you're not going to help me?" Dionysus said.

"Your responsibility"

Dionysus turned back to the boys, the three of them trying to push each other out of the king square.

"Tch. I can do this, I'm the cool wine uncle they'll listen to me"