Chapter 25 | wing cramps

You'd excused yourself to your room as the taskforce and L watched Misa in confinement over the camera feed. For whatever reason, probably the long hours in your human form, your wings have been really cramping up. So you'd taken to hiding in your room in your true form to stretch them out.

You lay on your front on the bed, making a little something for L. A book of shadows. There would be times you couldn't be beside him, so in those events he'd need to know how to cast certain spells. So you'd bought a pretty little book and began to write spells he'd need in the pages. Basic things like protection, self love, healing.

Hearing a tapping on the window, you turned to look at it and found a dove sitting on the windowsill, a rolled up paper in his beak.

"Hello... you must be a messenger for Aphrodite" you said, getting up and walking over to the window to let it in.

You opened the window and held out a hand for it to sit on, taking the letter from its beak.

"Thank you my darling love omen" you said, ruffling it's feathers.

It sat on your arm as you unrolled there paper to read it. Cursive writing in metallic pink ink infused with the scent of roses scrawled on the page.

Dearest (y/n),
I'm very pleased to see your relationship progressing well, and the detainment of one of the two Kira's. I promise you us Kami are giving you privacy in intimate moments, but otherwise watching the case unfold. I heard about your meeting with hades, I'm glad it went well. The sooner this case is over the better. More and more Kami will end up involved if kira continues the way he's going. I'm aware you're very busy, so if you don't have the time to write back, a simple rose in the beak of my dove will tell me you've seen this message.

And by the way, please do try and find that Misa girl a suitable man, Light definitely isn't her soulmate and we both know that.

With undying love, Aphrodite.

You smiled, glad to know she was checking up on you and making sure things go well from the high lands. You took a rose from the vase on the nightstand and placed it in the beak of the dove.

"Thank you for delivering, but I ask that you return this rose to Aphrodite" you said.

The dove cooed at you and spread its wings to take off back to the high lands with the rose.

You went to go back to writing in the book when you suddenly heard talking not too far outside your room.

"Gods will I ever get to finish this?" You sighed.

Walking up to the door and putting your ear against it, you tried to make out the voice of whoever was talking.

"Where did it go..?"

Matsuda? Yeah that sounded like him.

"What'd you loose?"

That sounded like Aizawa.

"My watch! I had it a second ago and it's just gone. Some flash of light and it vanished"

Flash of light? Looks like the fae that follow L for his sweet foods have decided to play a little prank. Watches are shiny, they probably wanted to snatch it for themselves.

"Flash of light? Like a reflection?" Aizawa asked.

"Maybe? I just blinked and it was gone" Matsuda replied.

You quietly snickered behind the door. What on earth did the fae want with his watch? Probably just something pretty for their collection. It did remind you, you've been meaning to take a closer look at Matsuda. He'd had past experience seeing 'mythical' creatures before, you wanted to know if any entities had attached themselves to him.

Going back to the bed, you sat down and continued to write, filling the pages one by one.

Completely unbeknownst to you, Light had entered the hotel room, a suspicious but somber look on this face.

"Light, What's the meaning of all this?" His father asked.

Light sighed.

"Ryuzaki... like I said in the phone... I could be kira"

The taskforce jumped to their feet to question him, L staying silent. He already knew what was going to happen. Having a deity as a girlfriend was useful on this case, Light planned to have Misa and himself give up possession of the death notes and hide them or pass them on, thus loosing their memories. It was frustrating that he knew this information but couldn't say or do anything about it. He'd have to talk to you and see if there was a way to intercept the death notes before Light or Misa could get them back.

"Quiet down everyone, I've already made arrangements. If light complies to this and he really isn't kira, this should be no issue and prove his innocence" L said.

"Exactly. I'm doing this to clear myself of all suspicions. And if subconsciously I'm killing and am unaware of it, this will prove that and we can put a stop to it" Light replied.

There was no further debate, and after a while of setting things up, Light was taken into custody. While some of the taskforce left to escort him there, L got up and had the remaining members and Watari continue to watch the cameras. He went to the kitchen to make his overly sweet tea.

He thought to himself, wondering the details of the memory loss. You said that when a death note is revoked, the owner will loose memories of the note and crimes linked to it. So would Light still be aware that Ryuzaki was actually L? Would he still be aware of the possibility of Devine interventions in the case? Would he be aware of you? Or would that all disappear too?

He was snapped out of his thoughts by movement in the corner of his eye, and when he turned to look he almost jumped out of his skin. A snake hanging from the window outside. He was about to call for Watari when he noticed something. The snake held a paper in its tail.

This wasn't just some random snake. It was a messenger. What would a Kami want with him and not you? He opened the window a crack and hesitantly reached out to grab the letter, when he took it, the snake looked at him and flicked its tongue.

"Thanks..?" He said.

With that, it slithered away. He looked down at the letter and saw it was sealed in purple wax, L written over it in some gold substance. He was confused. He understood if a Kami sent a letter to him to give to you, but it was addressed directly to him. Surely the Kami weren't all aware of his existence and life story were they? You did say they were watching the case so maybe they were all watching him.

He opened the letter, the borders of the paper had a grapevine pattern, the words written in purple and it had the scent of strong wine.

He looked down at the writing.

I don't believe we've met before, kid. But I have briefly run into your girlfriend before. I'll start by introducing myself.

I am Dionysus, god of wine and the harvest.