Chapter 44 | suspicious

Light? Sus.

No one but you and L seemed to notice his slight change in behaviour. The day you'd be using Matsuda amd Sakura TV to catch Higuchi was getting close, had had to figure this out quick. You'd been eyeing him down all day, waiting for him to let something slip. But it seems you'd been getting eyed down too.

"Why are you hovering around so much?" You asked, under your breath.

Ryuk snickered, looking over your shoulder at your work.

"Things are getting interesting" he replied.

"Hades is gonna roast you again for being away from the book"

"Not like he can kill me. I'm already dead"

"He'll get Eros to shoot you with a love arrow, you'll fall for a human and die..."

"Not if I make the arrow go through me"

Smart ass. You were conflicted with Ryuk. He was funny sure, super entertaining. But my god he was annoying sometimes, and such a condescending idiot as well.

You looked up, hearing a sudden noise. L's chair scraping across the ground alerted you.

"What's wrong?" Matsuda asked.

He didn't say anything, just grabbed your arm and pulled you out of the room. Had he figured something out. Closing the two of you in the bathroom, he kept his voice down.

"Can humans fee a Shinigamis presence?" He asked.

"Maybe very faintly. But I doubt they'd know it's a Shinigami" you replied.

"It's Ryuk, lights behaviour always changes when Ryuk enters. And when he leaves he goes back to normal"

Wow, L was seriously incredible at reading people. You hadn't even noticed that.

"How would he be able to tell Ryuk is around if he lost his memories?" You questioned.

"Are humans in previous contact with entities more likely to pick up on them?"

"Yeah, but it shouldn't be that oft- he can see him..."

L gave you a quizzical look.

"How? He hasn't touched any books?"

"Remember how he said there's a chance he's hidden paper form the book? Maybe he found it again and touched it. Paper alone isn't enough for him to get his memories back, but he can see Ryuk" you explained.

"Didn't he... break his watch the other day? That's when his behaviour changed" L said.

"Holy fuck you are smart. He must have hidden it inside the watch and when it broke he touched it when he picked it up..."

An anxious silence fell over you for a moment, followed quickly by Ryuk signature laugh.

"Ah you've figured it out? Should have expected that from a deity" he said.

"What have you told him?"  You scolded.

"Nothing, like I said I'm not on anyone's sides. Just watching. He made most of the connections himself. And because I'm not in anyone's side, I won't tell you what he does know"

"You're not much help" L sighed.

"No I'm not" Ryuk snickered.

That fucking- god you wanted to drop kick him sometimes.

"(Y/n) are all Shinigami this useless?" L sassed.

"Wha-"

"Yeah pretty much. All they do is sit around, gamble lifespans and eat apples" you replied.

"Hey tha- uhh... well you're not wrong" Ryuk stammered.

You gave Ryuk a 'told you' look. That seemed to shut him up for now.

"There's no telling how much Lights figured out. Or how much he will figure out. One things for sure he absolutely cannot touch that notebook when he get it back" you said.

"Not like we were going to let him anyway, but once we get it we better not even have him and the book in the same room" L replied.

You thought for a moment. Even though you trusted L, light was sneaky. You needed a plan just in case something did happen.

"Ok, listen up. In the worst case scenario he does get the book back, I need you to fly up the the aether, use the stairs to the high lands and alert the Kami. They recognise you so just shake on the gate until someone lets you in. I'll alert the taskforce and either  go looking for him if he runs off or fight him for the book. If it gets to that point, the Kami will need to get involved" you explained.

"To get to the aether I just... fly up?" He asked.

"Yeah, there's an entrance over Tokyo sky tower. it's invisible and unavailable to humans so you'll be able to get in now you're not human-"

"Woah hold on" Ryuk stepped in.

You both looked at him in annoyance.

"Since when we're you not human?" Ryuk asked.

"Since I got laid. What's it to you?" L sassed.

"OH THAT RITUAL! That's why I can't feel your aura it hasn't fully formed into a deity yet! Oh man this just keeps getting better"

"You better not tell Light" you threatened.

"No way. I want to see the look on his face when he finds out himself" Ryuk laughed.

Ok, that would be kinda funny. You honestly kind of hoped there came a point where L had to reveal it just so you could see Lights soul shatter knowing his rival because a god and he didn't.

"I'm sure we can keep the book from him. We have a solid plan. But remember that just in case" you said.

"Yes I think it's safe to have a backup" L replied.

"Let's hope we don't need it"

You turned to go back to work, but L stopped you.

"Wait-"

"What?"

He gave you a playful smile.

"Where's my kiss?"

You smiled, sighing and rolling your eyes before placing a kiss on his lips.

"There, now let's go. We have to prep and keep and eye on Light" you said.

"Ugh, atherials and their love" Ryuk complained.

"You're just jealous your kind don't do relationships. I bet you could fall in love with the right Shinigami, or maybe even human. Better watch out or you'll end up like Misa's Shinigami and fall for the owner of the death note" you teased.

"Light? Nah man. He doesn't know shit about how to love someone. Even I can see that. Plus, I can't date a man that refuses me apples and beats me in Mario kart"