Chapter 61 | hunting

Another day, another hunt, another hotel. Today you awoke in a random hotel to the feeling of something on your cheek.

"Wake up I'm lonely"

You stirred from your sleep, feeing another kiss on your face. What's gotten into him today?

"I'm up, I'm up..." you said sleepily.

"Good I'm lonely" he replied, another kiss landing on your forehead.

"I've literally been next to you all night" you replied.

"I can't talk to you when you're asleep now can I?"

"What's gotten into you today? You're so moochy"

He hugged you tightly, snuggling up to you.

"I think all those years being away from you are finally catching up, I just feel like having contact comfort today" he replied.

"We have to keep looking for light and Misa. There's still plenty of hotels we need to search as well as abandoned places" you said.

"I know... but that doesn't mean you can't hold my hand the whole time"

"You're such a sook"

You sat up ready to get up and continue hunting, but L pulled you back down.

"We don't have to leave right away" he said.

"We don't have much time before mass panic breaks out L" you replied.

"But I don't wanna get u-"

He cut himself off, getting a confused look on his face.

"What's up now?" You said.

"I just got the weirdest tingle in the back of my head..." he said.

You shot up, excitedly grabbing his hands.

"Like a tickle? Under your skin?" You smiled.

"Yeah? Is that good?"

"That's a signal a witch is trying to reach out to you! Your mythos has spread far enough to have people want to work with you! That's something only Kami can do!"

He sat up, a smile on his face.

"So they wanna give me offerings and talk to me and stuff?" He questioned.

"Yeah! That crazy how you're not even a Kami and people already wanna work with you!"

"How do I talk to them? I don't exactly just show up in their house or anything right?"

"Depends on how they're trying to contact you. You'll be able to tell from just focusing on the tingle" you explained.

We was silent for a moment, trying to decode the message whoever was trying to work with him was sending.

"I think it's via a pendulum" he said.

"Oh good, that's the easiest way to talk over long distances. When they ask a question you just have to answer it in yes, no, elaborate or spelling it out. When you get that tingle you can choose to ignore it or talk. If you ignore it you won't hear anything they ask. If you listen to it you'll hear their questions, just think about the reply directed at them and the pendulum will answer for you. You can say it out loud if it helps. You can see the face to face if they travel to the astral realm. Look, we need to get up and keep hunting. Try and talk to them while we're getting ready ok? I'll stay quiet so there's no distractions" you explained.

"Ok, thank you" he replied, placing a quick kiss on your lips before throwing the blankets back and getting out of bed.

You kept your lips sealed while you went to take a quick shower, L off to order breakfast and attempt this whole communication thing. It was insane that he wasn't a Kami and was already popular among spiritualists enough for witches to start reaching out. You've told him a lot about this topic in your time together, he seemed very interested in how it all worked. In all honesty you were sure he just wanted people to offer him cakes. But this was good, the more his mythos grew, the more people were willing to help him with things like offerings, altars and art in his honour the more power he'd be able to harness. That's how the Kami get so powerful, humans worshiping them and reaching out to work with them. That's why the Kami are the most well known popular deities among humans.

Everyone knows Aphrodite, Thor, Ra ect. They had large followings, this more power.

That was a key difference between L and Kira. L being an actual god meant his followers were able to give him power he could use. All Kira's followers are achieving is making a cult of deranged people. Light can't gain any power from them, he's human.

You still couldn't wait for the moment Light found out L was an actual god. He'd loose his mind. Another thing you couldn't wait for was the day L broke the barrier and managed to become a Kami. You were sure he'd make it there one day. You already knew his quarters up in the highlands would be basically a divine bakery, the amount of cakes and pastries he'd have fresh and waiting. You imagined he'd decorate the place with things symbolic of justice, anything related to sugar, maybe some frogs, things like his birth flower marigolds or birthstone opals. You imagined his quarters as a Kami would be very elegant, a bit rustic or gothic and without a doubt, he'd have tons of photos and art of you.

Another thing you were a bit exited for was the day a human pulled the classic art move and like most other deities, he was sculpted or painted naked. You just thought it'd be kinda funny really. Most deities have at least one artwork made by a human where they lack clothes so it would be no surprise if L got super popular with humans and he ended up a marble statue wearing almost nothing in a museum.

Then again, the more popular L got, the more popular you'd get as his soulmate. You'd probably end up with one of those sculptures eventually.

Letting the warm shower water wash over you, the thought of the future after kira was taken care of came to your mind. You were actually pretty exited for the growing mythos of you and L to get big enough humans start to work with you, it felt like an honour to have a human trust you to guide them.

All that's left is to take care of Kira, and then you'd be able to live life as a popular deity with the love of your eternal life.