Chapter 58| snatched

"God fucking damnit we're so lost"

Standing in the branches of a tree in the middle of the woods you both looked out at the horizon trying to figure out where the fuck in Japan you were.

"I mean if we just keep heading north we'll get there eventually" L said.

"How did we get so off course?" You replied.

You'd made it to a ruralish part of Japan somehow, in your flight and treak on foot over the past week somewhere along the way you'd gotten a bit off course. This hunting down Light business is harder than it looks.

"You guys good up there?"

You looked down, seeing a Kami standing at the foot of the tree. At first you didn't recognise him, but the Egyptian attire and shape of the pupils gave it away. It was Anubis, just using a glamour spell to look more human. Anubis, god of the afterlife and mummies in the Egyptian pantheon usually had the head of a canine and body of a human, but being down in the human realm was using a glamour spell.

"Anubis?" You questioned.

You and L flew down from the tree too talk to him.

"Aphrodite sent me. The Egyptian pantheon currently have no traditions running this time for year so I was able to deliver a message" he said.

"Doesn't zephyr usually do that?" L asked.

"It's about her, she's gone missing"

"Missing?" You questioned.

You really could make catch a damn break could you? First you get shot in the foot, Light runs off with the book and now this.

"You don't think light has something to do with it don't you?" L asked.

"Aphrodite seems to think so. At some point he may have seen zephyr, and now he knows about you being a deity for sure, he may have connected some dots. We can't track him, and he can't track Zephyr either" Anubis explained.

You and L gave each other quizzical looks. This was weird, she was so set on helping you, theres no way she could have done something like change sides.

"Well we don't know how much magic Light currently has ahold of, but if zephyr is with him then he could definitely have some" you said.

"Zephyr wouldn't betray us though..." L added.

"Aphrodite is looking for Lights life pond so we can find him and see if she's with him. Right now we sadly lean toward the possibility of her being kidnapped" Anubis said.

"Kidnapped?"

"We sent her to run some messages and it seems she never returned because when we went to send you guys a message we couldn't find her. If at some point Light made the connection of zephyr to you, and you to deities, he could have figured out how to intercept her" Anubis explained.

L thought for a moment, trying to figure out how this could have gone down, if there was a point where he may have spotted her.

"I thought deities aren't visible to humans unless they make themselves visible?" L asked.

"It's possible there was a moment where she didn't put that spell up because she thought you guys were alone" Anubis said.

Then it clicked, there was definitely a moment when zephyr and Light were in the same area.

"Shit- the tennis match. She came to relay a message to me but we were behind a building so she may have thought we wouldn't be seen and didn't bother with the spell. You and Light did come get me mere seconds after she left. He could have seen her then. And now that he knows about deities, he would have made the connection since she was wearing deity robes..." you explained.