Chapter 14: Figure It Out

Start from the beginning

                We arrived at the station at the same as Larson. He gestured for us to follow him inside. He wasn’t in uniform, not sure if that’s a problem or not. But we followed him inside. Someone sitting at the desk as we entered buzzed the door for Larson. Eyes fell on us as we walked through the open office space. Larson just sent nods, waved, and directed us to his personal office.

                He closed the door behind him and Willow and I took a seat in front of his desk. He appeared in front of us, hands cross together over his desk. “Noah, didn’t expect to find you.”

                “I moved back home a few days ago.” I replied.

                “I guess you’re not missing anymore.”

                “I was never missing.” I clarified. “I moved on my own.”

Larson smiled and looked at Willow. “What’s wrong?”

I unlocked the phone, placed it on the table, and slid it towards Larson.

                Willow went into detail about tonight’s events as Larson read the messages. His expression ranged from confused to shocked in the last ten minutes. “Who would do this?”

                “We know now that Scott didn’t kill Jesse.” Willow stated and it caused me to jerk my head in her direction as she talked to Larson. “Scott was stupid, we know that. But there’s someone out there right now that wants to hurt a lot of people. And already has.”

                “And you really believe he didn’t do that to Jesse?” Larson questioned.

It took me a few seconds to realize he was talking to me. “I know it sounds crazy, but yes. Tonight proved that. And now whoever did this to Jesse, is going to do it to Scott.”

                “You know there’s still a warrant out for his arrest—”

                “That means you’re still looking for him. If we don’t find him soon you won’t have anyone to arrest.” Adrenaline was pulsing through me. “We have to find him.”

Larson searched my face for any sign of hesitation or regret.

He looked to Willow and Willow nodded her head. “I agree.”

                Larson sighed and slipped the phone into a plastic evidence bag he pulled from his drawer. “We’ll try to trace where it’s coming from and we’ll let you know anything by morning.”

                I breathed a sigh of relief but my chest still felt tight. I had to deal with my missing brother last year and now I’m dealing with it again. Except this brother probably saw it coming. He just didn’t know how to prepare himself. I still want to protect Scott after everything he’s done.

                And Willow does too.

                There was never a good explanation as to why Scott does the things he does. He says his mom, but clearly it’s much deeper than that. Scott has more secrets than I can deal with. Secrets that clearly can get him killed. He shouldn’t have come to Mist tonight. He should’ve contacted me first. Now Willow’s been dragged back into this mess.

                And I told her it was only going to get worse from here.

                Larson walked the phone out of the room and I followed him with my gaze. He took it to a few guys sitting in front of rows of computers. He nodded, spoke a little and gave one of them a pat on the back before coming back to us. “They’re working on it now. I can’t guarantee that they’re going to find anything though. But we’re going to do what we can before anyone else gets hurt. Even if we can’t find out who it is, we’ll be able to locate Scott.”