Chapter 9: Divine Retribution

"Waitress! More wine please, and put it on Naruto's tab like usual~!"

The noisy Aqua yelled while slamming the table. This would be her third bottle of expensive wine, and all the money Naruto had earned in his last quest was now gone.

"H-hai!"

The waitress said with a strained smile and rushed off to fetch another bottle of wine, but not before sending Naruto a look that asked if it was really okay to bill him again, and it was apparent why.

Due to the amount of help Naruto had been giving Luna with the durian quests, he had become quite familiar with the rest of the guild's staff.

Naruto just waved the girl off, as this was part of his plan after all. First, he would let Aqua go wild with the wine and let her guard down. Then-

"Hey, are you really okay with this? She's going a little overboard, and that wine is expensive..."

Kazuma asked worriedly, pulling Naruto out of his thoughts.

"That's okay. I promised I'd treat Aqua to whatever she wanted, and I'm a man who doesn't go back on his word. Besides, I have a feeling Aqua's gonna get what's coming to her real soon..."

Naruto responded while adding the last bit quietly so only Kazuma could hear, but Megumin noticed this and looked at Naruto suspiciously.

"I figured you were treating Aqua because you liked her or something, but you have a look that says you're planning something."

"That's rude to make such assumptions, Megumin. Besides, he doesn't seem like the type to take advantage of a woman when she's drunk and bring them home, right Naruto?"

Darkness claimed, smiling with a hint of disappointment in her tone, and Naruto tilted his head.

"Who are you again?"

"!"

Darkness slammed her hands on the table in frustration, her cheeks burning red.

"It's me, Darkness! We met yesterday! You saved me from a silver wolf, remember?"

Naruto laughed at his fellow blonde's outburst.

"Pfft...Sorry, sorry, I was just joking! I remembered who you were because of your weird name."

"W-weird name? That's how you remembered me?"

Darkness asked, stumped on whether she should be offended or pleased.

"Darkness is a rather strange name."

"Now that you mention it, this may be a fantasy world, but the name Darkness doesn't suit you. Especially because of your bright blonde hair and blue eyes."

Megumin and Kazuma added, and Darkness was now blushing hard.

"Megumin and Kazuma too!? W-what about their names? Their names are strange, and Aqua's named after the goddess worshiped by the Axis cult!"

Darkness said to get the heat off her, and Megumin's eyes started glowing red.

"Oh? Is there something strange about my name? Tell me, I wanna know."

Putting the offended Crimson Magic Clansman aside, Naruto shrugged.

"I guess I don't have any right to say anything since I'm named after a fishcake."

"""..."""

"W-what? You wanna make fun of my name now that you know that? Don't bother, I'm used to it from my childhood!"

Naruto barked when the three of them began to stare at him questioningly.

"Hey, where did Aqua go?"