Chapter Fifty-Four.

Avery

I told you I was going to wake up. Why does no one ever believe me? There was absolutely no way I was gonna go down that easy. Not when the last thing I saw was Finn in complete disarray.

It's much later now and I've been at the house for a few hours. From the moment we walked in, everything just felt different. It's not necessarily a bad different, I really don't know how to describe it.

I'm constantly in the state of feeling like everything's changed, it's almost giving me whip lash. We've had to adjust our lives so many times based off the actions of Mason but now it's just... over?

Jordan called earlier to check in and see how I was doing, and she said that Mason was brought into surgery and once he's well enough to be transported, he'll be in the infirmary at the local jail until his trial.

I can't even think about a trial right now, it's all too much. She said that once that happens, I'll only have to be there for a few days and the rest will be handled, but it won't be for a little while.

Honestly by then, I'll be well moved into Seattle and hopefully in a better mental state.

I know everyone is entitled to a trial but my God, I wish he would just be locked in a hole and have the key melted into a nice fork or something. I'm so beyond done dealing with this.

My mom also called me back right before we left the hospital. We didn't talk for long and she asked how I was doing and what was going on. She got snippy with me when I told her that I had to go, saying that she's my mother and that I needed to tell her everything so she wouldn't worry anymore. I'm not sure where that energy was when I called her last night, though.

Finn was trying desperately to hold it in, bless him, but I could see how irritated he was getting as he could hear her loud voice through the phone - as she scolded me while I was laying in the hospital bed. I don't think he told me everything that happened when he called her last night, but honestly I'm not sure I want to know right now. I know how difficult she can be and I hate that he has to put up with it now.

My future mother-in-law is an angel and his is... well, let's just say she's not a walk in the park.

I can't believe that Dana and Morgan came down here from Seattle. That's a really long drive, like 16 hours. They had to of left as soon as Finn told them what was happening in order to get there as quickly as they did. The fact that they dropped everything just to see me makes me want to fucking cry. That's a type of love that I never felt before - I truly feel like they're my actual family.

They went back to the hotel an hour or so ago to get some sleep, which is very much understandable. Casey and Grace made dinner while I sat on the couch with Cam as we watch some reruns of How I Met Your Mother. We all ate together and hung out for a bit before we all headed into our respective rooms after a really hectic couple of days.

Finn left a while ago to meet his team and to say that he was struggling to get out the door would be an understatement. He really did not want to leave my side for even a second, but I assured him that I truly am fine and surrounded by everyone we love and trust - literally.

He's been texting me a bunch regardless, which I don't mind obviously. Seeing his name light up my phone makes me smile every single time.

His suitcase was actually still next to my car which is as close to a miracle as you're gonna get in LA. I could tell he was really relieved by that too. I know how superstitious he can get when it comes to what he uses for his pregame rituals, as most hockey players are.