chap.10

Ntando

"Ayo  Ntando whatchu doin here at my locker" I hear Nelson scream.

He's walking towards me, and I'm lightly tapping my fingers on the door of 'his locker'

"Uhm sorry but he's actually standing in the front of my locker." Alec says

"Yeah yeah whatever, as long as it still has my lollipop from last year then it's half mine and half yours"

"What! No boo thang it's not"

"Gents, Alec can the squabbling stop and the walking begin. I need to get my maths book." I say and get off the locker standing straight

"Argg uphi uAyanda (where's Ayanda)"

"Miss me much Alec?" Ayanda says coming with Jason

"You know I'm always missing you"

These two are confusing. We all know that Alec is gay and gay for Ayanda whereas Ayanda is bi with so many hookups. I think they've hooked up before but don't want to admit it.

We all see the tension but pay no mind to it. "Aww so cute" rolling his eyes Jason pushes me lightly and opens his locker.

"Yikes bro what crawled up your ass and died there?" Alec asks

"Argh this other meddie from life science class. I think her name is Yandi something."

"What'd she do to make you this mad" I ask

"Shes such a snob! Imagine she comes in class and introduces herself like she's the f!cking president's daughter or sum then Smith directs her to the desk next to mine" he shuts his locker and buffs

We begin our walk to mine and Ayanda's lockers down the hall. Nelson already left for class. He got economics.

"So gents plans this weeke-" I begin

"And if that's not worse, she wipes the damn table and chair and sanitizes her hands after" cutting me off

"Well I mean there was Corona virus a few years back so it's kinda understandable for her to take caution" Alec says

"But that much precaution?"

We reach our lockers and change our books quickly. Mr Xhakaza is an easy going teacher, as long as you don't arrive late and do your work he won't mind.

"And if that isn't enough, she bumps into me as we heading out of class. Daardie glase sy dar doen niks vir haar omdat sy steeds die manier nie nxa (those glasses she wears do nothing for her because she still don't see the way nxa) !" his coloured accent becoming thicker with every word he utters.

We head to class in quiet because nobody can calm him down when he's like this. We exit the building heading for the block with the maths class.

"Uhm excuse me boys" a voice says behind us. We turn and it's Ms Charolet, one of the librarians. She looks to be struggling with some boxes of books I'm guessing.

We head to her and I see Ayanda and Jason take the two boxes she's carrying.

"Oh enkosi, there are two more boxes near the office-"

"We'll get them for you ma'am" I say and turn heading to the office

"Enkosi nkosana yam (Thank you my Prince)"

....

We get to the office and indeed there are two boxes on the ground. I squat down and pick the first one up

"Whyyyy did you drag me with you. Now I gotta hold a heavy ass box and carry it to the library" Alec whines

"The quicker we get this done the sooner you can go to Ayanda umcele imassage (and ask him for a massage)" I say and begin walking back.

"You coming?" I say when I see Alec behind. Oh bawo he's trying to pick the box up! I don't get how he plays soccer and has muscles but can't lift a mere box of books. I turn and walk to him

"Ina thatha (here take)" I push the box to his arms and give it to him. I squat down and grab the second box. The shits not even heavy.

We walk in silence and reach the library.

"What took you guys so long?" Ayanda asks. Jason is sitting and on his phone, unbothered on one of the chairs.

Before I can even utter a word Alec beats me to it "Ntando here didn't want to pick up the other box, wanted me to carry em both" I stare at him shocked

"Riiiiiiiight" Jason says not looking up from his phone. We place the boxes on the front desk

"Thank you so much boys" Ms Charolet says and hands us a late pass with her signature on it.

We thank her and run to class. We are the last ones to enter the class. "Sorry we're late Mr Xhakaza, we were helping ms Charolet with packing books in the library." Jason says

"Dont make it a habit you four, now go sit down" Mr Xhakaza says, this is the first time we are late for his class.

We head to our seats and get settled. I take my book and tablet with a pencil out and open my book. I listen to sir as class goes on.

We get some class work and the class groans out in distaste. If I'm honest maths class is my favourite, mainly because I love mathematics. I quickly open my book and begin with my work.

I get lost in the numbers. I get out of my trance when I hear sir talk again. Now the class has gone quiet and all the attention is at the back. I turn with Jason and he groans so I look at him.

He points with his head to the back where two girls look like deer caught in headlights. Oh, one of them is one of the twins who got the last scholarship to learn here.

"Sir we were just discussing question 9, it seems a bit challenging we've tried two different ways and we are discussing these ways step by step to see where we could've gone wrong. Nelisiwe here was suggesting we come to you after class for your help on how to get the correct answer seeing as how ours are different and don't took correct." The girl with an afro and glasses says

Such a beautiful voice. I hear Mr Xhakaza say something but the girl's voice is playing like a song in my head. I close my book waiting for the bell to ring since all that is in my mind is the girl.

The bell rings and we all head out. The gents and I separate. I head to another one of my favourite classes, English and we get in and settle down as ma'am instructs.

Everyone is seated except for glasses girl. "Mmmmm a new member aboard the literature ship" Mrs Klass says.

"welcome one welcome all to my literature class, I'm Mrs Klass, and I'm your English home language teacher. Please have a seat anywhere you want to,as long as you will be able to sit there for the entire year."

I get nervous and something in me wants her to sit next to me. Something must be wrong, I've never been nervous because of a girl. I busy myself with taking my book out of my bag. And my phone chimes, indicating a message. I pull it out and it's from Buhlebendalo. Sigh.

I see her heading towards me. My heart is overdrive. "Hi, is this seat taken?" I turn from my phone and look up to her.

_________________________________________

Enjoy, vote comment and share