chap.35

Yandisokuhle

ow (okay, first of all)
If he happens to be in the background on your phone (coincidence?)
Then it's obvious there's something going on

Maybe I like him, maybe he likes me
But I don't know if he'll ever notice
They never talk, but it's 'cause he's nervous (hmm)
Yeah I know, yeah I know (I know)
Boys are so ugh

They don't understand the way we are
Boys are so ugh
Sometimes they take the jokes too far
Boys are so ugh
They act crazy to impress their friends
Boys are so ugh
They don't ever seem to get their hang
Boys are so, ughhhhhh

When you change your daily schedule just to pass him by (I do not!)
When you scroll to the very bottom of his timeline (that was once!)
When you screenshot all his messages, that's probably why (okay, you know what?)
Pretty obvious you really like this guy

Maybe I like him, maybe he likes me
But I don't know if he'll ever notice
They never talk, but it's 'cause he's nervous (hmm)
Yeah I know, yeah I know (I know)
Boys are so ugh

They don't understand the way we are
Boys are so ugh
Sometimes they take the jokes too far
Boys are so ugh
They act crazy to impress their friends
Boys are so ugh
They don't ever seem to get their hang
Boys are so, ughhhhhh

Wait, he just texted me!
Really? What did he say?
He says, "There's something that I really need to ask you
And I've been wanting to for a really long time"
That's so cute!
He's typing again!
Here it comes!
Will I do his math homework?
Boys are so ugh!

They don't understand the way we are
Boys are so ugh
Sometimes they take the jokes too far
Boys are so ugh
They act crazy to impress their friends
Boys are so ugh
They don't ever seem to get their hang
Boys are so, ughhhhhh

I have been listening to the Haschak sisters for a long time now an I find myself relating to this song more more ever. I found myself lying on my bed. Maths had tuckered me out and physics was the last straw. I was scrolling through YouTube trying to find someone who would explain all this to me.

Someone knocked on the door. I place my phone on do not disturb and shout 'enter' to which the door know turns. "Sisi," it's Nathi.  I know it because he only calls me Sisi when he feels bad. "Yebo Nkosinathi." I finally find Kevinmathsciencs and I click the subscribe button.

"Can we talk?"

"I thought we are already."

"You know know I mean." I sit up straight and pat a spot on the bed, "Sure. What's up?" I place my phone down and focus on him. "You know I care for you right?"

"Yes Nathi I do." I answer confused. "And me caring for you shows that I want what's best for you..."

"Mmm hmmm?" I nod and gesture for him tk continue. "I saw you walk out of a janitors closet this morning and rhwn Ntando Majola walks out after you? Sisi what was that all about! He is bad news. Please, " he takes hold of both my hands, "Stay away from him."

"Nathi..." I trail off, my hands slowly leaving his. "Do you know how hard it is to be the only girl child in a family full of boy children?"

"What does that have to do with anything?"

"You all have such an advantage as opposed to me. I am always told what to do and why I should do it, but you...you guys can do whatever and no one cares."

"Its different-"

"Realky! How? How is it different? Because you have a penis and I have a vagina?"

"N-no, i-"

"How many dates have you been on?"

"Huh?"

"Don't huh me Nathi.  Since the year began, how many times did you leave this house when ever and do what you wanted? Without having to worry about the media or your publicity or the reputation of this family? How many times?"

"Yandi-"

"Okay fine. How many his have you had sex with since you knee what sex actually is? How many exes do you have? How many girls have you kissed?" He keeps quiet. "That's what I thought." He opens his mouth but nothing comes out. He does this a few times.

"You guys have always had it easier than me. That's a fact you can't deny either. Ntando is a breath of fresh air for me. He makes me feel things I never knew existed. As complicated as we are for one another, I just can't explain."

"I just want what's best for you. And I don't think that he is the best for you."

"Then let me learn on my own. You can't protect me forever you know."

"Yeah, I guess you are right. I'm sorry you feel like this. I guess I never thought to think about what you do and how free you are because I thought its the same for all of us."

"It would be if I have a dick."

"Okay.  I don't want to jump into that."

"In to what?" I laugh as he shifts off the bed. "Og, ma said to tell you to come down for dinner."

"Thanks, I'll be down. " i plug my phone in the charger and open my textbook up. I spend at least two hours on each subject. By the time I come downstairs, the lights are off again. I grab a glass of water and warm my food up.

"Shouldn't you be asleep?" I shriek and let go of the glass which shatters into a million pieces on the ground. "Ntsikayomuzi!" I shout

"Stay right there! Ngiyabuya! (I'll be right back!)" I try to find my balance but end up stepping into a shard and I scream, seemingly awaking the whole house. Lights flick on as footsteps approach.  I try to not step on my food but ghe pain is too intense so I move to kneel down only to have another piece stick in my palm, this time really throwing me off balance.

My face lands on the ground first before my body follows. Sobs make my body tremble harshly. I feel myself being picked up and I hold onto my father, trying to find comfort in gis hold.

"Get the keys Sandile!" I am brought out of pain by everyone's rushed panic. I feel myself being carried out to the car. Soon enough, the car drives out of the garage and hits the main road. I see the colours of the city as the driver zooms down the highway.

I shut my eyes to try and focus on my breathing and not the pain in my hand and foot. We reach the hospital and people are abuzz. I am quickly wheeled into a room and I get an IV line and numbing medication. No one has said a thing but MaZulu is holding my uninjured hand and drawing patterns on my bare arm, lulling me to sleep as Baba plays with my hair.

The door bursts open and my brothers pile in. The doctor is the last one to enter.  "Dumelang. I am Dr Dipolelo." We greet her back. "Okay  Yandisokuhle.  Let me take a look at your injuries. I'll be quick...oh uh, ke kopa le suthe fela hanyane... yeah, this...works."

"Boys wait for us in the hallway. " Baba says, I'm sure after having seem how small this room is. My brothers, as always, complain but eventually leave. I feel a pressure on my hand before it feels as though someone is digging into my hand.  I hide my face in MaZulu's chest as the tears flow.

Dr Dipolelo cleans my wounds and stitches them up before wrapping them with bandages. She also treats my eye and stitches the small tear on my brow. "We are done Yandi. These will heal exceptionally. "

"Thank you Dr." MaZulu says.