chap 65.

Narrator.

The night of the party had come and everyone with an invite was excited. They couldn't stop talking about it at school which only built up the suspense even more. It was really all that anyone could talk about. The instructions were very clear: 1. No mask, no entry. 2. No invite, no entry. 3. Be on time. Late comers will be turned away.

The rumor around the school was that there was going to be some kind of major reveal that would lead to the most awesome night for everyone. Maybe that's why they were told that phones would be taken at the entrance. Yandisokuhle had lied to her family and said it was a sleepover at Nelisiwe and Anelisa's. Nathi didn't need a reason to lie but he chose to do so as well. Might as well get into trouble with his sister than let het get into trouble alone.

And so here we are, in Nelisiwe's room. How this came to be was quite awkward at first but the girls made it work...

Wednesday morning

"Yandisokuhle, vuka marn!" MaZulu has been pulling on Yandisokuhle's blankets to get the girl to wake up. "MaZulu ngithe ngiyagula njalo. Angeke ngiye eskolweni unless ufuna ngigulise ezinye ingane. (MaZulu I said that I'm sick. I can't go to school unless you want me to make the other kidds sick.)" MaZulu shook her head. "Uguliswa umsangano wena. Vuka ngingeka dinwa nguwe. Nxa! (What's making you sick is this craziness you have. Wake up before you make me angry. Nxa!)"

After mumbling incoherent words, Yandisokuhle got out of bed and prepared for school. When she gets downstairs, she greets her family like always and when she gets to her mother, MaZulu moves her face to the side. "I'm sorry mommy. I'm just so tired nowadays." The look she received from MaZulu was enough to get her to step away. She went to sit in her self designated chair and eat her breakfast in peace. 

"Don't forget to take enough food Yandisokuhle, I'm going to fetch you later tonight because I've got a long meeting today." Bhut'Ntsika speaks as he sips on his coffee, reading through the newspaper like his father taught him. "But can't any of you guys pick me up?" Sandile and Simphiwe both shake their heads, "Sorry Marshmellow, Sandz and I are going on the monthly business trip this time so we won't be back for a couple of weeks." Yandisokuhle's head snapped upwards in an instant. 

"B-but what about our outing? I-I had it all planned it out." The young men took turns to look at the other. "Eish Yandi..." She stood up and walked out to the garden before Simphiwe finished his sentence. MaZulu had really been determined to grow her garden and she wanted to surprise her family with the literal fruit of her labor so she wouldn't let anyone enter through the backyard until she was satisfied with how it tuned out. "Yandi." 

"Chaa bhuti. What you guys did is unfair shame. Do you know how much time I spent planning our outing which you might not attend? Yhoo, you guys surely know how to hurt a sibling." He laughed. "You have always been dramatic ngane ka Mthethwa." He walked over to hug her against her struggle. "Stop fussing and let me hug you in peace." 

She shrugged out of his grasp and walked back into the house to finish her breakfast. "Kwathuleka kangaka manje? Kufe bani? (Why is it suddenly so quiet? Who died?)" Nathi cam running downstairs and threw himself onto Yandisokuhle who used too much force to shrug him off that he fell painfully on the floor. "If you want to act like an object Nkosinathi, I will treat you like one. Habe! (My goodness!)" Nathi, who now had a throbbing pain in his shoulder, got up from the floor and sat down besides his sister.