chap 49

"-so I just said to her that she should just buy the whole building instead of having just one floor." Mariah Johnson laughed yet again to her own jokes that were not so funny. "As much as I am enjoying our conversations Mariah, I do have to get to the stage again." 

"Oh sure," her claws grab my arm and I feel them piercing my skin. "Just one more story-hey Ntando, I didn't see you there." All of a sudden, she is all nice and smiling. "Yeah, let me steal Yandisokuhle for a minute." He takes hold of my hand and we walk off. "Thank you so much!" He laughs at me as we walk off to some of our friends. 

"Hi guys." We mingle a little bit before before I am called to the stage. "Hello once more, I hope everyone is having an informative time here. Its time to have lunch, the bar is set up on either side of the hall so please, enjoy yourselves."  I get off the stage and walk out to the garden. "Hi, anyone sitting here?" I see one of the girls sitting and breastfeeding her baby who's fussing. 

"May I?" she looks like shes's on the brink of having a meltdown. She hands me her baby and I walk around the garden trying to calm him down. When he stops fussing, I feed him his bottle. When I hand him back to her, he's fast asleep. "Thank you very much." 

"It's a pleasure." We sit in silence and just enjoy the breeze. "May I disturb you too?" Nelisiwe stands by the door with her hands on her waist. "Y....yeah sure, what's up Nelz?" I stand up and walk to her. "What's going on?" she stares at me, "you tell me." 

"I don't understand."

"You and Jason? Care to explain that?" 

"Oh," I laugh as relief as I begin my explanation. "He asked me about-" My brain freezes as "...about, uhm... yeah. So...so how was your day?"

"No. Do not change the subject." 

"Listen Nelly," I pull her to the side but she pushes me off. "No. I am so tired of your bullshit Yandisokuhle. If you don't tell me what the hell is going on, I will walk away forever." 

"Nelly, I can't loose you. Please just-"

"No. No more bullshit." she walks back into the venue. "Nelly..." 

"Drama. Drama. Drama." Buhlebendalo comes behind me, clapping her hands slowly in a taunting way. "What is it."

"Nothing, I'm just enjoying this show."

"And what show might that be Buhlebendalo?"

"You ruined my life. I'm just happy to watch your life fall into pieces. Don't worry, I'll make sure to watch everything." She pushes past me, "Urgh!!" I walk back inside and find my family. 

The even continues on and before I know it, it's over. "Today was a success."Nathi comes behind me and throws his arm around my shoulders. "It was. I am so tired. Let's go home."

"Not so fast." Bhut'Ntsika stops us at the door. "Bhutiiiii..." 

"No. No whining. You have to help clean up. Come on."

"Noooooo." We wait for the very last person to leave before cleaning up. "I thought you hired a cleaning company."

"I did. But where's the fun in letting them clean when I have younger sibling." He laughs and sits down at one of the tables. "You are so wrong for that bro."  He just shakes his head and drinks his scotch. "When I catch you Ricky? Ricky when I catch you? Hmmm uzongazi kahle." Someone flicks my head before laughing. "Calm down wena spitfire." Bhut'Sandile comes to join Ntsika.