Chapter 5: Lack of Trust

Rosalía smiles at her reflection in the mirror as she does her hair, thinking about how far she's come

Rosalía smiles at her reflection in the mirror as she does her hair, thinking about how far she's come. She used to be a Laker Girl, starred in music videos, and even toured with a few artists as a backup dancer. She soon became a choreographer, working with artists like Madonna. A year into her marriage, she still lived this exciting lifestyle but decided to give it up in 1997 to start a family with Daniel. After Aaliyah was born, she opened her first studio, which to her surprise, quickly grew. She was already quite well-known in the dance community so many dancers came pouring in to take classes, teach, or rehearse.

Due to the studio's great success, Rosalía and Daniel opened three more locations in the Valley over the years, in addition to the dealership locations. Now, they're considering expanding the small dance franchise across California. Rosalía and Daniel are a sort of local celebrity couple: the dancer and the karate champ. They're both known in the Valley for their companies as well, which they run together. However, La Rosalia Dance Co. is more of Rosalía's baby while LaRusso Auto Group is more of Daniel's.

Rosalía finishes her hair and makeup, jogs down the stairs, and announces, "I gotta go to the studio. Kyle Hanagami is holding a workshop today. He usually goes to Millennium so the fact that he wanted to come to our studio is just wow!" She grins enthusiastically as she approaches the mirror on the wall by the staircase. She puts on her earrings and continues speaking, "oh, and apparently, your cousin, Louie, didn't show up again so we're short-staffed at the dealership. Now Amanda has to go in."

Daniel barely pays attention as he stares out the window, watching Selena and Ethan outside. "Okay," he says without turning to his wife. Ethan kisses Selena, making Daniel's stomach turn. He doesn't trust that boy with his daughter at all. "Look, mi amor, I'm sorry but your cousin's gotta go. I know your mom said he cleaned up his act or whatever but that's not what I'm seeing. I caught him sticking his bare hands in the popcorn machine. Qué hombre más chuco [What a disgusting man]... How he was able to pull Amanda, I don't know," Rosalía chatters.

"Mm-hmm."

Rosalía's eyes dart to her husband, realizing that he's not listening. She slowly steps toward him and announces, "by the way, I'm pregnant." Daniel doesn't bat an eye. "Yeah," he breathes out, pretending to react. Rosalía sets her hands on her hips and gives him a pointed look. When he finally realizes what she said, his eyes widen and his head snaps toward his wife. "You're what?!" he shouts. "Aha! I knew you weren't listening!" Rosalía exclaims, pointing a finger at him. Guilt takes over Daniel's face. "I- I was," he lies, his voice going higher.

The woman scoffs. "Whatever. Are they still there?" she asks, nearing the window and peeking outside. "They just drove away," her husband informs her. "Yeah, I can see that," she returns, facing him to see the concerned look on his face. She places a hand on his cheek, trying to soothe him. Daniel sighs and examines the woman's face. "You're worried about them too," he states. Rosalía just stares at him. She doesn't want to further worry the man but she can't lie to him either. She finally nods. "I mean... he was kind of rude but I don't know, even before that little incident, I got this weird vibe from him."