Chapter 94: Because We're Family

Hey! So the Juarez LaRusso family dynamic is important to Rosalia, Daniel, Selena, and everyone else so, of course, I wanted to portray that! Especially since I want to shine the spotlight on them a little more in S4. So, yeah lol, let's gooo...

-

-

The Next Day

When Selena got home, she spoke to her parents about Sam's feelings in hopes that they would know how to help her. She knows that just listening helps but there's more that can be done, and she wishes she knew what else to do. Fortunately, her parents felt compassion for their niece, especially since they both know what it's like to live with fear. An idea formed in Daniel's mind, which brought the Juarez LaRussos to where they are now: the All Valley Sports Arena. He thought that this little lesson could do the whole family some good.

Everyone climbs up the stairs until they reach the balcony. Daniel and Rosalía softly smile as they walk over to the railing, looking over the whole arena. Memories of Daniel's tournaments and Rosalía's students' dance competitions flood their minds. "No matter how many times I come back here, I just can't help but feel a little rush of adrenaline," the man comments as he rests his arms on the railing. "Love that for you, pá. But why are we here?" Selena responds, standing on his left.

"Yeah, you still haven't told us that," Sam adds, wondering why her uncle wanted her to tag along for this. "Yeah, I don't get why we all have to be here," Xavier chimes in from behind them. "Same. When you said 'family field trip,' I thought we were going somewhere cool," Aaliyah speaks up next. "I thought we were going out to eat," Adrian claims. "Me too," Camila jumps in, crossing her arms. Rosalía chuckles amusedly while Daniel rolls his eyes at their family's nagging. "Wow, you are all such patient people," he sarcastically remarks.

He leans close to his wife and murmurs, "they get this from you." Rosalía scoffs and shakes her head, feigning offense. Yeah, probably, she thinks. "Come here," Daniel addresses everyone, walking away from the railing. Everybody follows him downstairs where he leads them onto the court. The couple stops at the circle in the center of the court, making the rest of the family halt as well. Daniel points at the floor with both pointer fingers, announcing, "Right here." He glances at his wife with a grin, who smiles back, knowing what he's thinking about.

"We know. This is where you beat Johnny Lawrence," Sam pipes up, making the others nod. The couple shakes their heads. "Yes but that's not what he's talking about," Rosalía states, eyeing her husband. Sam and Selena share a confused look before turning to the older man, who nods in support of his wife's claim. "This is where I almost lost to fear," he states, looking down at the floor. This baffles everyone. "What do you mean?" the two 17-year-old girls ask in sync. "When?" Xavier adds.

"It was during my second tournament. I didn't even need to fight in the preliminary rounds, so I was fresh, I thought I was ready. But in the final match..." Daniel trails off, staring at the floor as he remembers that match. Rosalía remembers that time too. She can still see young Daniel's terrified face as if he's right in front of her. She cringes as she recalls Mike Barnes and all the indecent things he said to her. She can't help but wonder how he's doing now. Is he still that same disrespectful, aggressive person or could he have changed like Chozen did?

"My opponent was ruthless. Before I knew it, I was on that mat and the fear had completely taken over. I was paralyzed. I couldn't move. The thought of getting up again and facing that guy just scared the living daylights out of me. I just wanted to run off and hide," her husband depicts, lightly shaking his head. All the kids eye him curiously.

Selena glances at Sam, wanting to see her reaction since she's currently in the same boat. She looks more intrigued than anybody else. "So, what did you do?" she inquires. Daniel's forehead is creased as he gets lost in the memory of that moment. He remembers his sensei and Rosalía's words so clearly...