Chapter 40: Mucho Gusto

In Latin America, people (especially women) greet each other with a kiss on the cheek. Just informing y'all so I don't get any disrespectful comments... Also, I've never mentioned this before but in Spanish, Selena's name is pronounced: Sel-eh-na. Let's get into itttt.

-

-

Miyagi-Do Dojo

Sam and Robby are sparring while Selena and Aaliyah are in the background with one AirPod in each, practicing the dance for Valley Fest. Sam manages to strike the boy's side, defeating him. She sighs. "Remember, keep moving in a circle," she reminds him. "You know, I did make it through the All Valley finals," Robby mentions, smiling. "That's just because you didn't have to go through me," Sam sassily jokes. The boy chuckles at her response before turning around upon hearing voices behind him. He and Sam look at Selena and Aaliyah, who are counting as they mark their routine on the wooden deck. "I know they're not going full-out but I'm really curious to see how it's supposed to look," Robby comments.

"Yeah, me too," Sam chuckles. "Their performances are always insane. Last year they did 'Carousel' by Melanie Martinez and it was just wow," she mentions with a blown away facial expression. Selena's head snaps to them and she takes out her AirPod. "Did you say something?" she calls out. The two shake their heads. "No," Sam replies. "Hey, I'm gonna get some water," Aaliyah informs her sister before walking off into the house. Selena goes over to Sam and Robby. "You wanna spar for a little bit?" her cousin asks, sending her a goofy smile. "Uh..." she trails off, shrugging. "Sure, why not? Aaliyah's probably gonna take forever to come back outside," she answers. The two girls get in their fighting stances when Robby decides to speak.

"Listen... I wanna thank you guys," he expresses. The girls drop their stances, gazing at him curiously. "For what?" Selena asks. "Last week, I had no hot water. This week, I have a Jacuzzi in my backyard," the boy states, slightly chuckling. The cousins grin and glance at each other before turning their attention back to him. "I mean, yeah, Jacuzzis are cool and all but they're no Hurricane Harbor," Selena jokes, causing the other two to laugh.  "Seriously," Robby utters, nodding and giving her an appreciative grin. "Thank you... It's been a little rough lately and it's nice to have people look out for you," he concludes, looking between both girls.

They smile softly at him. "Of course," Selena responds, sticking her hand out. Robby looks at it and grins, taking her hand to do their handshake. "That's what friends do," Sam tells him. The boy shifts his eyes to her and shakes his head. "Not all friends," he responds, smiling at her. Selena notices how he's just staring at her in awe. She eyes Sam, who's looking at him the same way. A small smile creeps onto her face as she observes them. This is adorable... oh, God, am I gonna be the third wheel? She thinks. Her thoughts are interrupted by a small grunt in the distance.

They turn around to see Camila stumbling out the door after having tripped on her way out. "Ajá! Que te dije? Ponte a correr de vuelta [Uh-huh! What'd I tell you? Start running again], let's see if you fall for real this time," Rosalía strongly voices as she, Daniel, and the rest of the family walk outside behind the little girl. Camila just looks at her mother with a guilty face before walking further outside. Selena extends her arm, gesturing toward her family in the distance and gazing at Robby. "As you can see, you've moved in with the sweetest people in the world," she jokingly announces, making the boy laugh.

"Hey, Xavier, why don't you join them, huh? Or maybe you can be my teacher's assistant," Daniel suggests to his son, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Um... I think I'll just observe today," Xavier responds. He's open to the idea of practicing karate again but he's feeling lazy today and school and work consume a lot of his focus. "Alright, fine," Daniel accepts his answers before walking toward his three students. "Alright, guys, enough chitchat. Let's see where you're at," he addresses them. Adrian and Camila run out onto the grass on the opposite side of the teens while Rosalía, Aaliyah, and Xavier stay by the door.