Chapter 12: The Scarlet Stepper

Miguel, Demetri, and Eli sit on the bleachers. "I never understood these things. Since when do all of these people have school spirit?" Demetri complains as he scans the gym. Football season recently ended but soccer season is starting so there is a pep rally this afternoon to celebrate the start of the season. Miguel hasn't been to previous pep rallies or football games but he's been itching to see Selena perform ever since he discovered she's on the dance team. Miguel shrugs and claims, "it'll be fun... Selena's performing." This makes Eli perk up. He's never seen her dance either.

"She is?" he questions. Miguel grins and nods his head. "Yeah, she told me," he confirms. Students pour into the gym and soon enough, the bleachers are full. The band starts playing upbeat music while the cheerleaders, pep squad, and Scarlet Steppers cheerily make their entrance. Miguel whoops when he spots Selena while the other two only clap, a small grin forming on Eli's face. The Scarlet Steppers go to the far left side of the gym floor and get in formation while the pep squad goes to the opposite side and the cheerleaders go to the middle. Miguel's eyes stay glued to Selena, analyzing her uniform.

The dancers have their hair half up and are wearing red sequin dresses, sheer tights, and tan jazz shoes

The dancers have their hair half up and are wearing red sequin dresses, sheer tights, and tan jazz shoes. Selena is wearing a white sash with "Scarlet Stepper of the week" printed in red cursive letters on it. Miguel's not too sure what that means but he's proud either way. The band and spirit teams amp up the crowd until the announcer comes in and introduces the soccer team. Two cheerleaders hold up a giant banner and the soccer players rip through it, making their way to the middle of the floor. They sport red jerseys with their respective numbers on them. Miguel slightly scowls when he spots #21... Ethan. I forgot he was going to be here, he thinks.

The players line up and Ethan looks over at Selena, waving and winking at her. The girl's face heats up as she smiles timidly, waving back. Both Miguel and Eli witness this, disappointment filling their hearts. It seems like boys like Ethan are the ones who always get the girl. The soccer coach introduces each team member, makes a little speech, and leads the audience in a spirit cheer before the performances commence. After drumline and a teacher dance, it's finally the Scarlet Steppers' time to shine. The crowd cheers as they take their places on the floor. "Go, Selena!" Miguel shouts. The girl scans the audience upon hearing his voice, rapidly finding Miguel.

Her face lights up when she spots him, sending him a bright smile. The boy returns the smile and gives her a small wave. Selena's so happy to see him here. Oh, shit, now I really can't mess up, she nervously thinks, not wanting to humiliate herself in front of him. "Yeah, Selena!" Ethan's voice sounds. The girl tears her eyes away from Miguel to look at her boyfriend, who's only a few feet in front of her. She doesn't feel as excited about his presence, which confuses her. Maybe I'm just used to him by now. Finally, "Bailar" by Deorro featuring Elvis Crespo blares through the gym and the dance team performs their high-kick routine. Selena keeps sneaking glances at Miguel as she dances.

Said boy watches her in complete awe, mesmerized by her movements. He didn't know she was so talented. He and the audience go wild as the dancers get into a kickline and do multiple high kicks. He's impressed by how high the girl's leg goes up. He continues to cheer and applaud until the end of the performance. The dancers strike their finishing poses, emitting loud screams from the crowd. Miguel has a huge smile on his face as he cheers along. His eyes fall on the soccer players below and his smile fades when he notices Ethan clapping and cheering. He decides to pretend he's not there and darts his eyes toward the dancers again, who are now going back to the sidelines.