Chapter X

"Please don't mind my brother."

"You mean that was all Dayo could say?, Just please don't mind my brother?" Teddy asks with a huge frown on her face.

Well, yes. That was all Dayo told me. I can't blame her anyways, she's been really nice to me.

"See, I even want you to forget about everything. I have good news for you." Teddy says, the frown on her face had disappeared.

Phew, good news. Finally something to cheer me up, I wonder what it is.

"I found a job for you!" Teddy exclaims.

A Job?, Wow. That really is good news but wait, she hasn't told me what kind of job it is.

"What's this job about?" I ask.

"Mama Ngozi owns a canteen two streets after this estate, she's looking for a sales girl and I think you'll fit well." Teddy replies.

Sales girl?, So I fit sales girl?, What sort of insult is that?

"What's wrong?, You don't look happy." Teddy points out.

"Well, it's not exactly a good job but at least it's something." I reply.

Teddy sighs and pats my left shoulder.

"You said your aunt said use what you have to get what you want, you also said you wanted to get a job." Teddy says.

She didn't have to remind me of that statement but she's right.

"That's the only reasonable explanation to that statement." I say.

"Do you know how hard it is to find a job in Lagos?, The hustle is hard. Even this Sales girl job that you think is a stupid job....."

"I didn't say it was a stupid job." I interrupt Teddy hastily.

"But that's what you think. Look Oreke, it's not easy to even find a sales girl job these days, everything is just hard so I'd advice you to grab every little opportunity you see."

"What job do you do?" I ask.

Teddy sighs, she looks reluctant to answer my question but she does answer it anyways.

"Nothing. I remember telling you I'm on scholarship, I can't juggle having a job and good grades."

Oh, I remember Teddy also telling me that if she doesn't keep up with good grades, they might revoke her scholarship.

"If you don't want the job, it's totally fine." Teddy says.

"No, no, no. I do." I say. I have to take the Job.

"Great because I already told Mama Ngozi good things about you, I told her you're very hard-working so don't disappoint me o." Teddy says.

See this girl o. What if I refused to take the Job?, I wonder what she would have told Mama Ngozi.

"You're starting on Saturday, I'll come to your house by 10:00 in the morning."

*************Saturday morning.

The rest of the days flew by fast, it's Saturday already and I'm very nervous for my first day at work.

I can still quit but I won't because these past few days have been hell. My aunt stopped giving me money for food, she makes sure only her children have eaten and then leaves me to starve. If not for Bolu and Demi who leave leftovers for me to eat, I'd have starved to death.

I don't know what I've done to deserve that and I honestly don't even care anymore, as far as she lets me sleep under her roof, that's fine by me.

I miss my parents and my junior sister. It's been up to 2 weeks since I left and none of them have bothered to call or text, it's like they've forgotten me. I text them everyday and sometimes they reply, sometimes they just ignore my text.