Chapter XXIV

Today's Thursday. The field trip is coming soon and I haven't paid. It's so sad I won't be a part of it. I put on the expensive boots my aunt bought for me, I remember when I first set my eyes on it, I thought I'd look awkward with it but to the glory of God I look smart in it. I look at myself in the mirror, my braids look rough and my pimples just keep increasing day by day, I look dull.

I turn around to glare at the room, Demi left for school a while ago with Bolu. I walk out of the room with my backpack slung round my shoulder. I meet my mum and her friends chatting in the parlour, I wonder why her friends are here so early. Well, I manage to greet everyone of them and almost walk out of the door but my aunt yells my name.

"Ma?"

"Wait. I want you get me something on your way back from school. Let me go upstairs and get some money." She rises to her feet. My heart begins to beat very fast, what if she notices some of her money is missing and what if she blames it on me? Maybe I should hurriedly rush for school...

Suddenly, A loud scream comes from upstairs and it makes my heart beat fast.

"What was that?" Aunty Aishat, one of my aunt's friends yell.

"Dami, is that you?" Another one yells.

I just stand there with my heart beating fast and my legs shaking profusely. God please, save me. My aunt finally comes downstairs with a scowl on her face, she turns to me and yells

"Ole Ole, Theif!!!!!"

I burst into tears, How could she even call me that?, That word triggers me a lot, it brings back old memories when my eldest sibling, Brother Dotun would steal from Baba and blame it on me.

"Dami, what is the problem?" Aunty Aishat asks with a frown on her face.

"You know I told you girls I lost my job at the office, I've been struggling with money and the only 100,000 naira I kept in my drawer, this stupid girl stole 40,000 naira out of it."

So Demilade stole 40,000 naira from her mum?, But for what?

I just stand there sobbing, I have to try to say a word to prove my innocence but if I say I saw Demilade taking it, no one would believe me.

"Shey it's just 40,000 naira, why are you embarrassing her that way?" Aunty Aishat snaps.

"Aishat, it's 40,000 naira o, not 4,000 naira!" My aunt exclaims.

"I know, I heard you clearly the first time. I have your account number, I will transfer double of it to your account." Aunty Aishat says eyeing my aunt.

"But Aishat, it is not the money that is paining me seff. It's how even after I told her about my condition, she still stole from me. She's just like her mother, stealing runs through their veins."

Did Demi's mum just insult my mother?, Her senior sister? I kneel on the floor and burst into tears. So because of 40,000 naira, Demi's mum insulted my own mother?, Her blood sister. Humans are wicked. I remember the stories my mum told me about how she took care of Demi's mum when they lost their parents.

"I don't have your time now. You will come back from school. Stupid thief." Demi's mum hisses and walks away.

"Come, let me have a word with you outside." Aunty Aishat says pulling me up from the floor and dragging me outside.

Once we're outside my tears increase as Aunty Aishat starts talking.

"I know you didn't steal that money. You're a good girl, it's written all over your face. Don't mind your aunt."