Chapter XVI

Today's Friday. I'm so glad because we close from school early on Fridays, although I have to go to work and also explain myself for not going to work yesterday. I hope Ngozi's mum isn't mad at me.

The time is 8:00am, I'm late for school, on purpose. I finished preparing for school around 7:25am but I refused to go to school because I was waiting for Demi's mum to prepare for work so I can have a word with her. It's 8:00am and I'm still waiting for her to prepare but unfortunately for me there's no sign of her preparing for work.

She's sitting on the couch facing the flat screen TV and I'm here sitting close to her. Maybe she isn't going to work today. I should probably just say what I want to say.

"Orekelewa, why are you still here?, Bolu and Demilade are in school already." She suddenly says.

I clear my throat and start.

"Ma, I wanted to have a word with you."

"Oh, me too. I actually have something important to tell you."

Something important?

Why is my heart beating so fast?

Have I done something wrong?

Is this about the 'Use what you have to get what you want' talk?

"Maybe you should go first." Demi's mum says.

"No!" I yell.

I notice  her sudden change of look so I immediately apologize.

"I meant no ma, I think it's rude if I go first so you should ma. I'm all ears." I say. She nods her head.

"I'm not ready to tell Demilade and Bolu because they might not take this very well."

Okay, I'm getting more anxious. Please just spill it out ma.

"The thing is that....."

My heart beats faster, I fiddle with my jeans pocket. Today's Friday and we have to wear our Friday wear with jeans. I decided to put on a jeans trouser, I've been wearing skirts for the past weeks. Although I hope I don't regret wearing this pair of jeans because they're pretty tight.

"I lost my job."

Ehn?, She lost her job?, When?, Why?, I don't even know what exact Job she does. Probably office work but why did they fire her?

How am I supposed to tell her about what Ejide told me when she just lost her job?, God. What sort of mess is this?, I'm so worried about Baba, what do I do?

"Oreke, when you get back from school, we'll talk. Alright?" Demi's mum says placing her hand on my shoulder.

She's acting so nice to me. I'm so scared to ask her for money cause it feels like she has done a lot for me.

I nod my head, I attempt to stand up but she drags me by the wrist.

"Have you forgotten?, You said you wanted to tell me something." Demi's mum states.

Oh. What do I say now?, I have to think of a lie.

"Erm, I-I, I just wanted to thank you for everything you've done. I'm really grateful." I lie.

A wide smile spreads on her face.

"Don't thank me Oreke, thank God." She says.

I nod my head and force a smile. I bid her goodbye and walk out of the house. Off to school I go.

*******************************School.

I lay my head on my desk with my eyes wide open. I don't know why Teddy didn't come to school today but I miss her. Today has been really boring. I haven't seen Murewa since morning, we only talked in the morning and he was only punishing me for coming late, he's the labour ambassador and Meekness is the assistant.