Chapter XXXI

My eyes slowly flutter open and I feel my eardrums are going to burst any moment from now because of the loud beeping noise that is coming from only God knows where.

I roll to the right side of my bed and groan loudly. God please, it better not be that our Miss Modela set an alarm for 7:00am in the morning cause I will Para for her o.

My eyesight is a little blurry so I rub my eyes with the back of my palm severally until my eyesight eventually becomes clear enough.

I turn to my right, Ngozi is lying on the bed like a drunkard and omo she snores, not loudly though. I turn to my left, The beauty queen is lying pretty on the bed. I scoff at the sight. How can they sleep amidst the noise that seems to be coming from the roof.

"Jesus Christ!" Ayoola suddenly jumps from her bed, she grabs her pillow and presses it close to her ears. Oh so she wasn't asleep, she was just pretending.

Someone suddenly barges into our room startling I and the girls. It's a middle-aged woman dressed in what looks like a uniform. A white long sleeved shirt, a black pencil skirt and a blue with black stripes apron.
This woman legit eyes us from head to toe and then hisses. My God, what is with the attitude?

"Didn't you girls hear the morning alarm?" Her voice is even harsher than her face.

"Morning alarm, ma we didn't k...."

"Shut up! Did I ask for your opinion?" This woman literally interrupts Ayoola before the poor girl can complete her sentence.

"In the count of three, I want all of you out of this room now and outside for morning prayer." The harsh woman says with an irritated look on her face. I didn't even know we were supposed to be awake for morning prayer. Oh and I also didn't realize the beeping noise had stopped now.

"Bu..."

"You're very rude this girl, must you always talk?" Once again, she snaps at Ayoola.

"I'm counting now!"

"One....."

I don't even wait for this woman to yell two. I jump off my bed and dash out of the room, Ngozi and Ayoola imitate my action. The three of us scurry into the elevator to avoid the harsh old woman joining us in the elevator.
Ayoola hastily taps the button that leads to the first floor.

"Who is that woman seff?" I hiss at what just happened.

"Probably a matron." Ayoola replies with a shrug.

"Well, she is so rude! Her job is to be of help to us." I rant.

"I know right. Look at the way she just kept interrupting me. It's the audacity for me." Ayoola says shaking her head in disgust.

I glare at Ngozi expecting her to contribute but the poor girl just looks so tired. The elevator doors ding open and Ngozi is the first to dash out of the elevator and throw herself on one of the chairs in the lobby. To my surprise, A boy dressed in a blue adidas tracksuit and pants sits on the receptionist desk. He adjusts his spectacles and ignores our presence, well maybe it's because his eyes are glued on a book in his hand.

"Zee, hiiii." Ayoola squeals. The boy in the receptionist desk raises his head up and smiles at her.

"Ayo, what's up?" He nods his head at me as a form of greeting and I return his gesture. He does look a little familiar, I think he's the library ambassador. He's an SS3 student for sure.

"You guys aren't supposed to be here though. The morning prayer already started 10 minutes ago." He points towards the glass doors revealing the crowd of senior students outside dressed in different outfits. I can hear Latifah's annoying voice singing a popular christian worship song.