Epilogue

I stare at the coffin right in front of me, and slowly drop to my knees. My eyes lock onto the photo of her as a creaking door catches my ears. I grab the frame and glance down at her, her beautiful face no longer able to see this world.

"The guest are waiting outside," Rodrigues whispers.

"They can wait longer." I respond.

Rodrigues sighs, "brother, they have been waiting for three hours."

I give him a nod of my head and step away from the closed casket, I take my seat on the first bench with the frame in my hands as the guest begin to come in and give me their stupid condolences.

Rose rushes to my lap, I smile and lift her onto my knees. She wraps her arm around my neck and leans her head onto my chest, the only thing I have left of Sophia.

The only thing.

Mia and Lorenzo come in and settle down beside me, Sophia's fake parents also come in and settle down. They have of course grown a connection with her.

I hear sobs from the end of the other bench and see Lauren crying, Rodrigues handing her tissues.

"She was a loving mother, wife, soulmate and daughter. She had this smile on her face, one that kept anyone reassured."

Silence.

A peaceful word.

One that makes no sense yet feels so stress free. Black clothing's and a casket. Surprised wasn't the word for it. anger, sadness, and distress. There she was.

Laying in that casket, after everything we have been through. After everything she has done for me. After everything I have put her through, she left me within a second. I loved her. I had no choice but to. She was a bright, kind and deserving person.

She never deserved this, she never deserved what I put her through and till this day I cannot stop feeling guilty for wanting to protect my own family by killing one.

I promised her every day I would protect her; I promised her no one would get in the way.

When did I become so numb?

When did I lose myself?

All the words that left my head, she was a light that came from someone else. I was paralysed. Where were my feelings? I had no clue because I no longer feel anything. I was stuck in one place not knowing where the real me is. I was lost that was a word for it.

When did I become so cold?

The person I know left me, the person I loved along with my faith. Along with my promises. Right there, in my arms. Gone in one second. Blood all over my hands. Fear glimpsed her eyes. Fear of losing us, fear of losing her Rose.

I'm in a box with no oxygen.

I grab my collar slowly loosening the tie as Rose falls asleep.

She didn't even get the chance to be a mother, to be one.

"Mr Hernandez, a few words from you?" I look down at Rose then at Mia and she nods her head, she takes her from my grasp, and I make my way to the front.

I reach the stand, and the speaker rings a little. I glance at the casket beside me, "she never had the word hate in her. She had the purest heart, the kindest soul, and a beautiful smile. When I saw her smile, everything inside of me- relaxes."

"And now she's gone," I scoff and take out my flask from my jacket. "I'm supposed to be a dangerous and powerful man, but my wife was killed."

I take a huge sip and see Rodrigues about to come up.