Chapter Eleven

-

I was up pretty late that night, I didn't have an excuse as to why I kept rolling around in my bed along with blankly staring into nothingness.

Eventually I got tired of it and got up to go get a snack. It was maybe 2 am, the wind outside was cold and felt frosty through the windows. The hardwood was chilling on my toes, I ran my hands through my hair to sort it out as I walked into the kitchen.

I opened the fridge and pulled out a Powerade, then went to the sliding patio door that lead to the balcony of the house.

Before I opened it, I saw a figure outside, resting in the rays of the moonlight. I had to quint my eyes to figure out who it had been, sitting peacefully with their legs dangling off the side of the chair and his head tipped to relax on his shoulder.

It had been Louis.

He was staring off the railing, I could see his breath in the air. I watched as he took a deep, long sigh before I slid open the glass door as quiet as possible.

Louis jerked, unaware that I had appeared until he flipped his head around to see me.

"Sorry I scared you," I whispered, shutting the door behind me as I went fully onto the cement and stuck my hands into my pockets. "What are you doing out here?"

He didn't answer for a few moments. "It's a beautiful night, you know? Couldn't miss it." He sighed again. "I like it better, I feel less stress when I'm alone during a night like this. Quite peaceful." He looks up to me and smiles, just as he did earlier today.

"Oh, I'm sorry, should I leave?" I asked, pointing to the inside.

"No, no. It's alright. Can't sleep?"

"No," I mumbled, taking a seat. "Can you?"

Louis laughed like my question was a joke. "No,"

We sat in silence for quite a while. He would wipe his face and sometimes shiver, than other times he would play with the ends of his hair or the loose string on his sweater.

I had broken the silence after a few minutes just because I felt terribly awkward watching him stare into nothing feeling happy while I was just hiding myself away in my pajamas. "Are you out here most nights?"

"I'm out more often than not." He nods.

"Do you sleep much?"

"No," he says, without a care in the world while he pouts his bottom lip, swinging his feet about.

I started to get up to walk back to bed, as I had been feeling much more tired than when I arrived but he stopped me as I opened the door. "I don't hate you, Harry."

I didn't reply for a while. "I know." I finally confessed.

"You're different, H. You're a different kid, I'm not sure if I like that or not yet. I'm not sure if I'll ever even get used to it." He spoke like thick blood.

Each word rolled of his tongue perfectly, he never tripped up even a letter while speaking in a hushed whisper at me.

"Goodnight." I spoke up, sliding open the glass frame and walking halfway in.

"Sleep well, Harry." Louis chimed.

That was by far the weirdest conversation I had ever had with him. I mean, before he was so incredibly- there was no better way to put it rather than- rude. He was soulless and a lot of what he said made me feel attacked and unwanted. But tonight, since we were alone, it was almost like he had been interested in me and wanted me to be there along side him.