Chapter Seventeen

-

"So, do you like, hang upside down when you sleep?"

"I'm not a fucking bat, H."

"Right."

We were outside in the chilling breeze, discussing and talking about our traits and figuring each other out. By the time I was on my 15th question, Lou had gotten pretty fed up with me and basically told me to shut up by interrupting me with a question of his for me.

"So, you can, like, take away pain, yeah?"

"Yeah. All I have to do is hold onto them and basically suck it out of them. Both physical and emotional, though emotional takes skill."

Before and after each question we would sit in silence, just to take in the information and mark it in our minds.

"So, you wear lots of clothes when you're in the sun. Does it hurt your skin? Like, what happens in the sun?"

Louis seemed a little bit upset by my asking, like it was a hard subject of some sort.

"It doesn't hurt." He said.

"But what does it do? Why do you cover your skin?"

"I can't really explain it, Harry."

Louis sighed, another silence began.

"This isn't going to work," He admitted.

"What are you saying?"

"This, it can't keep happening."

"Lou, we kissed. Not a big deal. Who even knows if it would continue on.." I shrug.

"No, trust me, it will. I can't completely tell the exact future, but in the back of my head I see us together, for a long time. And I'm not sure if that's what's best."

"Are you able to change the future or something?"

"No, of course not. But, I can see what is going to happen and quickly do something to stop it." I could see that Louis was getting uncomfortable in his seat and also quite tense.

"There's no reason to-"

"But there is." He stopped me. "You see, you hear and smell and I feel. We are too different, and only I could know that it gets dangerous."

"How do you mean?"

"I'm dangerous."

"So am I-" I try to stand my ground, but it's obvious that Lou knows more about the subject and is able to prove me wrong.

"No, no. Not in the way that I am. You may have certain enhancement powers and strength powers, but my powers are different."

I let it stay at that. He didn't want to tell me the exact and specific reason for it, but I didn't bother trying to get an answer out of him.

Louis kept talking after a short break. "I see us falling in love, and I can't let that happen."

"Love?" I repeat, beginning to feel queasy. "Wait-" I shook my head. "But I thought you couldn't fall in love-"

"Oh, my God, you're a fucking idiot." He said to himself. "I'm not a god damn robot, ever seen Twilight?"

I shook my head.

Louis always had a special look in his eye when he began growing angrier, his eyes would not only flash a quick red but sparkle.

"Anyways, I like you, Harry. I always have, that's why we are both here. But those are just lousy feelings that don't seem to matter in this world."

Those single words crushed my heart. My bottom lip quivered.

"Lou-" I reach out to him, but it's too late as he pushes past me and back into the house.

I stare off the balcony until the door is fully shut behind me, then just so slowly turn around to watch as Louis cries on the way back to his bed.

I waited quite a while before I went back inside, the outdoor breeze felt amazing in my hair and refreshing. On my way back to bed, I stopped my Liam and Louis' room and peeked in through a crack in the door. Louis sat there, motionless, on top of his sheets. He hadn't even been doing anything, just sitting with his legs out in front of him and his back to the headboard, arms crossed as if he were cold, and his eyes, such lovely eyes, wide open.

For some reason, I felt his sadness. I knew that it was possible for my type, but just looking him up and down it was clear that he had something on his mind that was bringing him down. I sighed and trotted to bed.

With my arms behind my head and legs crossed over my bed, I lay back to glare at the pitch black ceiling and wonder. It hadn't made any sense to me when Louis said he was dangerous. Also, what could he have seen in the future that kept us apart? And, he said he saw us falling in love. And how he couldn't let it happen. What was he going to do to stop it? Why couldn't he look ahead into the future a bit further and figure a way for us to just be?