Chapter Forty-Two

Sunset came quickly. Andrew rose and greeted me in his own battle gear.

“You drank the two drinks?” was the first thing out of his mouth.

“Yes, I finished the second one a few minutes ago.” I said strapping the sword onto me.

“You look like a warrior queen, Kat.” He kissed me.

“Thank you. Where are we meeting the others?” I asked, still trying to figure out how to tell Andrew about his vampire children and Gus and Sophie.

“I know about them, my pet. They will be allowed to be part of this. If I fall, they must know. They will need to go to Selena. As for your friends, we will meet them near. Take hold of me, and we will be there soon.” He told me as he slipped his arm around me.

I grabbed onto him and we moved like lightening. It was faster than I would ever be able to move. The night air stun my face. It felt like a storm was brewing- a bad sign for a night of battle.

We stood on the beach. I could sense the vampires nearby. Konkoers and his people stepped forward from under one of the lifeguard towers. I saw John walked down the ramp.

“What the hell is going on, Kat?” John asked.

“War, John. War. I'm glad you came, and thank you Konkoers for bringing your people.” I could sense the shifter in them all.

“We knew this was coming, Kat. We choose to be on the right side.” He bowed to me.

“Kat, I feel like I've stepped into a weird alter universe or something. When did you become a leader? What war? Why are you dressed like you are going to do battle with knights and dragons? What is all this craziness?” John shouted.

“I know who the murderer is, John. I'm dressed like this because I know that the only way to stop him is to kill him. The only way to do that, is the old school way. I've always been a leader, John. You are just now opening your eyes.” I stood tall and stared him straight in the eyes.

“Do you stand with us, Agent Black?” Konkoers asked him.

“I don't know.”

“That isn't an answer. Coward.” Andrew hissed.

“Andrew, that won't help anything.” I chided him. “John, you have a choice. As everyone does in this. You can fight with us. Use your magic to defeat this monstrosity or you can return to P.N.I. and pretend that none of this is happening. The choice is yours.”

“I'm sorry, Kat. This is madness. We don't murder people, we bring them in to be judged. I can't be part of it.” He turned away from me.

“So be it. I'll see you at work tomorrow, John. Be safe on this night.” I raised my hand to stop Andrew from beating the snot out of him.

John Black walked off the beach. A lone figure in the night. I hoped that I would live long enough to kick his ass for being a prick. But I had to keep my mind on the task at hand.

“Andrew, you need to attend to your children.” I told him and walked over to Konkoers group as he walked to where the vampires hide.

Sophie and Gus had joined with Konkoers people.

“Hey, Soph, Gus. I need to know who is with us on this. If any of you feel like you can't commit to this, that you aren't willing to die to stop this, then I want you to walk off the way John went.” I told the group of ten or so.

“Kat, my people are ready and willing. We know the right choice here. We've each come to terms with our fates. Tonight we will stop that monster.” Konkoers stepped forward.

“Gus? Sophie?”

“We are in.” They stood with the others.

“You're all sure?” I felt proud of these people. It was obvious that I had been a commander in a past life or something.

“Yes, we are sure.”

“Then Sophie, you and Gus take them to the Depot. Get them geared up. Pay for their goods. Our army needs gear, but not at the price of their kindness.” She nodded and started to move people back toward the parking lot.

Andrew moved behind me.

“Are yours ready?” I asked.

“Yes, and I see you've sent them to get gear?” He asked.

“Yes. Do the vampire require it?” I wasn't sure how they would fight in this.

“No, my love. When we are made, we are ready for battle. It will take much to kill any of us. Armor or weapons would not stop that.” His eyes were like two glowing violet moons.

“Andrew, if we...” I didn't want to think that I might lose him, I had just found him.

“Hush. It won't happen. You need help to uncover your past- and I see no other man up for that job.” His lips were on mine before I could respond.

The kiss was powerful. But there was sadness in it. He was worried, and even scared. I could taste it. The kiss tasted of defiance and goodbye. It was bittersweet.

“None of that. No goodbyes, Andrew. We will beat this tonight, and tomorrow you can take me somewhere wonderful. We'll take a vacation. And bring Sophie and Gus too.” I laughed.

“Anything you want, Kat.” He smiled.

“How do we draw the bastard out?” I wasn't sure what we would do.

“Why, with the perfect bait.” A wicked smile spread across his face.

“Then once everyone is ready. The battle begins?” I swallowed.

“Yes, and it will end quickly with his death.”

“I hope so, Andrew, I really hope so.” I looked out to the ocean, praying that that would not be the last time that I was able to see it.