When Daggers Collide (Assassin!Gray x Assassin!Reader)

--I'm moving over the best oneshots to this book so sorry for the notifications--

Ideas/Requested by: TheCyanAssassin

I stared at my boss in disbelief as he uttered those three words: "kill Gray Fullbuster." 

His voice was so soft, carrying no emotion as he gave out the orders for his own son's death. The boss of thee syndicate I worked for was a cold man, a heart of ice - some even called him a devil, but made sure that he never found out about the names.

I was certain that he knew about the names, just like how he found out about his son's betrayal. I assumed that he made no move on the names because they evoked fear into the hearts of everyone who worked under him, including me. Stemming from that, to keep up his reputation and cold exterior, I can only assume that's the only reason to act upon his son's betrayal; he didn't want his deathly cold heart to melt.

I was friends with Gray, in a way, we grew up together since our parents were friends. It was a dodgy friendship, bear in mind, built on business and trust issues - there were a lot of arguments. I made the decision to train with Gray when I was old enough, around fifteen. Prior to that, Gray had already shown me the basics so we advanced quickly together.

"S-sir?" I stammered slightly.

"Pull yourself together, L/N," he snapped. He used my last name, something he never did. It was almost like he was distancing himself from me. "You're the only one who can end him."

End. End him as if his life meant nothing.

"Sir, it's your son," I stressed, trying to get him to change his mind.

"L/N!" Silver barked, "quit it. Don't make me get rid of you too."

"He only spared the life of a pregn-"

"Of a target!" He yelled, raising himself up from his chair. Placing both hands on his grand oak desk, he lent forward, edging closer to my face. "It means nothing to me if they are pregnant. If we get paid, the job gets done, that's the way it's always been." He removed his hands off the table in one swift movement and turned so that he wasn't facing me. He crossed his arms and said in a deep voice, "do I have to remove you too?"

I sucked in a deep breath and shook my head, "no sir." My tone fell as I added, "the job will be completed."

Engulfed in the shadows, I moved silently through the night. Like a ghost, I swept over the concrete pavement, honing in on my target. He was stationary, standing before a fountain that emitted a bright glow. One arm was raised, almost like he was holding something in it. I could only see his bare back. His tan skin was covered in angry scars, some fresh while others had been around for ages. He still wore trousers, that was good. For some unknown reason, Gray tended to lose a lot of his clothes while out and about - it was strange and baffled a lot of our fellow members.

His head moved slightly in my direction. With a sharp intake of breath, I slammed myself against the wall and hoped that I hadn't been spotted. My heart thumped in my ears with each passing second. I needed to breathe...

His whole body turned and his eyes pierced through me. They ran up my body and then locked with my e/c ones. I shakily let out the breath I was holding. The hot air collided with the mask covering my face, except my eyes, and spread around the rest of my face. Everything seemed much louder under the mask.