Part 1: Chapter 100: The Beautiful Boy

I stared at the wall of the Hospital.

Annie had came out of surgery twenty minutes ago and Holbrook had left momentarily to speak to the doctor on Annie’s condition. My hand was bandaged and Holbrook managed to get himself stitched up in the ambulance. Thankfully, the bullet had only scraped him.

Annie wasn’t that lucky.

But she would live.

Unlike other people.

I doubled over as the tears began to pump out faster. The chair that I sat in was placed beside the hospital bed that contained Annie. I scrunched my face in my hands and sobbed over and over again.

After a while, I could hear movement from the bed but I didn’t bother.

I couldn’t bother anymore.

“Alice?” The voice said silently.

I got up abruptly and moved to the other side of the room. I picked up the jug of water and moved towards Annie, keeping my head down but unable to keep my hands from trembling.

Holbrook would want me to take care of Annie.

It would be selfish of me to just sit in a corner and weep.

I poured the liquid into a cup but barely any of it got in.

Annie grabbed my hand and held it. “Stop. “

I shook my head from side to side

Side to side

Side to side

Side to side

I think I’ve gone insane.

Or maybe I’ve finally just gone sane.

“Oh god. Annie I am sorry,” I tell her. I don’t know which part I am sorry for.

I am sorry for everything.

I am sorry that I asked you to take Wesley home.

I am sorry that he shot you.

I am sorry that I wasn’t there to love him.

I am sorry that he died.

I am sorry.

I give up on pouring the drink and walk back to my seat and face away from her.