Chapter 17: 2191

I looked up startled. “What?” I said sharply. I had always known they were gone, but dead?

I looked straight into her icy eyes, which seemed to start calculating and analysing my every move.

“I found them dead six years ago under my floorboards,” she said so simply that anyone could tell that she was my grandmother. She had a method of delivering news the way I did. All, and at once. No emotions, no deception.

“Well, that’s delightful, Grandmother,” I spoke back automatically.

I spoke back the way it felt to erase every trace of the family you had from your head with the click of your fingers. The way it felt to run back home alone and petrified and realise that the only person at home was your soul that you left in the corner before you left.

I couldn’t forget my parents.

I couldn’t forget those 2191 days I had shoved myself into the folds of that house and tried my best to rebuild my parents back into everyone’s eyes.

The lies I had to tell.

Don’t worry Mrs Fitz, just give me everything you need to give to them, they got caught in traffic and as soon as they come home they like to go straight to bed. So.. I’ll give it to them. I promise.

I remember so vividly when a year had gone by and I woke up one morning with no water, money or electricity. I had spent every dollar in that house trying to survive. I had spent every cent of my will to live in that house.

But I spent nothing on the box of pills I had found left in my parents cupboard.

I think that is how close I got to giving up.

Do you know how It feels to feel so incredibly alone.

I am not a good person.

But no one deserves that. To feel like that.

“You could invite me to dinner,” Holbrook smiled, his laugh laced his words. “Or better yet, I could make your family dinner. Trust me Alice, you have not seen me, a talented young man, cook.”

“You know two minute noodles is not cooking Gab,” I had laughed.

He looked at me in mock horror, “You underestimate the power of good two minutes noodles.”

“It’s been five minutes,” I whispered.

“Your losing your game, you’re one second behind,” Mrs Grunwald said.