Chapter 67: The Two A's

After a while, Annie speaks.

“Are you going to tell him?”’

Her voice is so innocent and soft that I can’t imagine that she was the girl who had threatened me to join the A team. At least now I know why.

I am staring at the road in front of me as I pull onto the major freeway that travels directly to Ravenswood. We were leaving Rosewood. I’m sure that wasn’t surprise for everyone in Rosewood. Someone leaving.

“It’s not my secret to tell, is it?” I whisper back. A deep sadness forming inside of me.

A few minutes pass by.

Annie stares out the window, “What’s going to happen? To me? ”

“Well,” I say, “You’ll have to change your identity and leave Rosewood behind.”

“Why are you helping me?” She whispers, still not looking at me.

“Because this is Alison’s fault and I take full responsibility of her,” I say firmly.

“And does my brother know about this? You? Helping me?”

“Kind of,” I say, not so firmly.

“And you think he’ll be okay with you risking your life to save someone that would give you in so easily?” She says with deep sadness and regret that it is my turn to look out the window.

“He was too shocked when I told him,” I say. Referring back to last night when he kissed me. “I got out of there soon after so he couldn’t think it through. He left about 10 million messages on my phone this morning that I had to ignore.”

“That doe-“

“It’s my responsibility Annie,” I say. “When people get stuck between one of Alison’s and I’s wars.”

“No,” she says, “It is my responsibility when I am the one involved.”

“Say It is,” I reply, “What are you going to do? Talk yourself out of it and attempts to manipulate everyone around you until you get your way?”

“No,” she says, “That’s too much like you.”

I can’t help but laugh.

Annie stares at me.

“I didn’t know I was seen so horrific to the world,” I reply with a dry smile.

Annie raises her eyebrows from the corner of my vision, “Yes, you do.”

I roll my eyes, “Well at least we know who can’t take a joke.”