Chapter 7: Who Plays Better?

Her hand wrapped around my arm and I got that hint enough. My Grandmother wanted to talk to me. I didn’t bother yelling out in fright. That would only alert Alison and her new boy toy which I wanted to stay and watch but would also alert her to be more cautious around me.

But you see, Mrs Grunwald was not just an ordinary grandmother with an obsession with knitting, floral décor and tea. She was different. She knew things the way you wouldn’t even think you could know. Dad was an agent in the CIA and mother was a forensic scientist and I won’t say I didn’t at least learn something from them.  But what ran in my blood was from my grandmother.

She pulled me upstairs and down a hallway. After we got to the last door she opened it and pushed both of us inside and closed the door behind her. We stood in pitch-blackness.

A second later a light flickered on and Mrs Grunwald’s hand seemed to be the culprit. The room was covered in rotting wood and he only furniture that was present was a small table with a phone sitting on it.

“I was lenient enough to allow you to bring Alison here out of pure common courtesy, but not this far Alice. I know you very well to know that whatever you have planned for her will only backfire. You’ve finally picked fire to fight your fire with,” She said.

I frown began to form on my face.

“I don’t appreciate your words, Grandmother. I picked her, and I only pick the best. You know that,” I said, my words quickly turning into a burning hiss.

Mrs Grunwald laughed a dark laugh. Then she replied, “I’m not sure she plays the same games you like to place Alice. Nothing about her seems malleable. This friendship you have with her is unhealthy. I didn’t disapprove with the games you played with the others because they never had secrets you couldn’t uncover. But her. Don’t lie to me Alice. You don’t know that half of her.”

I small pit of anger began to form in the pit of my stomach.

“That’s why I picked her,” I said in hard voice. “It’s time I picked a challenge.”