Chapter 39: Meet Me Half Way

“You want to talk?” Wes said.

He had arrived at the car about 30 minutes after I left. There was some sense in him enough to wait a decent amount of time before coming after me.

I stared out the window and ignored him. The buildings zoomed past and all I wanted to do was rip them out of my sight. But it was night and the world was disappearing anyway.

“What the hell was that Wes?” I replied.

He sighed and ran his hands through his hair from the corner of my vision.

“I was watching you and Holbrook and I decided you were having too much fun.”

“You were spying on me.”

He indicated left, moving out of the high way and into a side parking lot. Once he parked the car he turned to face me.

“Yes, I was,” he replied.

He wanted to talk? Fine, we’ll talk.

“Do you understand how dangerous that was? There isn’t supposed any links between us,” I said.

“Do you understand how dangerous it was setting up a meeting with both Ezra Fitz, Aria Montgomery and Gabriel Holbrook?” He retorted back. A frown slowly forming on his face his kept flicking to the rearview mirror.

I sighed and turned my head away, staring out of the window. “I didn’t plan-“

“No. You didn’t plan it,” He said, “But you let it happen. Do you even care about your goal anymore? Do you even remember holding a gun to Holbrook’s sister’s head because all I see you doing is staring at him and falling deeper and deeper into a hole that I can’t pull you out off.”

I stared out of the window. A pit of dread forming in my stomach.

“Can’t I just wish for a normal life?”

“You put a gun to his sisters head. What normal life can you get out of that? He can never love you Alice,” He said, with a sad note in his voice. “At least not the way I do.”

I turned to face him slowly, “Why do you always say you love me?”

He searched my eyes for a couple of minutes and then pulled the car back onto the road. His eyes hard turned rock hard. “We’re being followed.”

My eyes flicked briefly to the side view mirror to spot a black ute slowly creep itself back onto the highway. I guess it was then my eyes caught sight of who was driving it.

“Wesley. When did Holbrook leave the restaurant?”

He took his eyes off the road to look at me for a couple of moments. “Ten minutes after you. I made sure there was enough time between when you left and I left.”