Chapter 97: This is War.

I knew where exactly she would be.

And the thought of knowing that Alison had spent time to think about me was enough to send shivers down the back of my neck to my toes.

I looked at the abandoned house and breathed.

“What do I have to do to you until you realise that you’re not wanted. That there is no reason for you to be here Alice? Go kill yourself Alice. You want an invitation to make it official, there it is.”

The words my mother had just spoken carved me.

I braced for the hit of the saucepan that came hurdling at me and whimpered as the boiling hot contents spilled over my arms and legs.

Father watched from the corner, nodding in agreement.

I shivered at the memories.

No one should be treated like that.

No one.

But even that disappears when you spent years in a house by yourself. You miss even the memories that killed you inside. You craved for that type of emotion again. Even if it was the worst type of emotion.

I had wanted all that abuse back so much.

It was better than having nothing at all.

That was the worst.

Just knowing that.

Just feeling those things.

I stepped over the threshold of the house and moved inside. I climbed the stairs one at a time. The smell of the house had staled over the years until it smelt like rotting wood and loneliness and a dash of dead parents.

Splendid.

But truly, none of that mattered anymore.

I was finally going to meet Alison.

Alison Dilarentis.

And as I stepped over the last step on the stairs I knew where she would be.

Not my room.

My room wasn’t enough.

But my parents.

I breathed.

God, I was so proud of her.