Chapter 37: gAbriel Holbrook

“Gabe!” Ezra called.

I looked up in shock. The door bell of the restaurant chimed and there was the one and only Gabriel Holbrook walking in.

Give me a break.

Only this time, he was no longer in his uniform. Just a grey shirt that fit too well and black jeans that hung against his hips..

He caught sight of Ezra, then Aria, and lastly, on me.

Walk away.

He walked towards us. Once he stopped in front of Ezra he spoke. “How’s the Job, fitz?”

“Ugh- yeah good. How’s it killing it on the streets?” Ezra joked.

“You make me sound like a criminal or something. But yeah, the jobs going good. All sought of interesting things going on. Assault, murder and burning down buildings.” His eyes flicked towards me for an inch of a second. “Better leave you all to it. Just came here to pick up some takeaway.”

“Doesn’t sound like an interesting night,” Aria smiled. Holbrook laughed.

I nearly died.

His eyes pinched at the corners as he spoke back with ease. It was beautiful, “When ever is it?”

It was like I could see a light bulb pop out of Ezra’s head and onto his plate. His intentions were gone now that I had brought Aria. He could no longer talk about whatever his mother had set him up to do. Aria was my weapon and since his argument was gone, what was really stopping him from what he said next?

“Well, we are going to make this the best night of your life. Sit down,” Ezra said, dragging out a chair across from me for him.

I waited for Holbrooks resistant. The oh so known, “I shouldn’t,” or “I don’t want to bother you,” or the, “I must get going. I’m really busy.”

No. He smiled and plucked himself down on the chair. Right. Across. From. Me.

Once again I had made the mistake of avoiding the inevitable (which was the money problems between the Fitz’s and Fiend’s) and it had back fired oh so badely. Just because I thought it would be funny to bring Aria along on a secret date with Ezra.

I hate myself.

“So Alice, you’ve met Gabe right?” Ezra said.

I didn’t have to ask Ezra to know how he knew him. Rosewood was such a small town that everyone knew everybody.

“Yeah, we have.” Gabriel was staring at me.

We sure have.

The waiter came with an extra menu to give to Gabriel and then I was off picking mine up to shield my face from his.