Chapter 88: Gone Boy

BACK TO PRESENT TIMES:

And I think I’m melting one hundred times over when Holbrook tells me that. When he clasps my hands and tells me he would chase me forever.

And I want to

Stop

Right now

And

Run.

Run to him.

Run away from him.

I don’t know which one.

Because I run too much and my legs take me places that I don’t want to go and I run into people who remind me that I don’t deserve good things because I have never been a good person.

I’m the girl who put that cat up in that tree and never let it get back down. Cried as it tried and laughed while it died.

I’ve only ever done my best not to shower in my flaws.

But now it seems like I am living in them.

And I am so so done pitying myself.

I can feel the soft pressure of Holbrooks head on my shoulders and I know he can feel me shaking. He looks up at me with soft eyes and his words ring around in my head.

I will run forever if it leads me to you.

I think I am hyperventaliating.

I looked Holbrook straight in the eye and breathe, “Can I run?”

Can I run. Can I run away from all of this. Can I run away from this bloody room.

He smiles gently, “Only if you let me run with you.”

And then it is broken.

It is broken so fast that I can’t control my fingers as my phone screams in my pocket and struggle to pull it out.

MONA VANDERWALL

The screen flashes her name off and on like it is being possessed.

I stare at Holbrook.

His good mood shatters and his eyes turn a shade indescribable. “Don’t pick it up.”

The phone is still buzzing.

“Why would she call me?” I say, completely stunned. “ I know of Rosewoods stupid policy that if you have no evidence against the suspect that they can only be detained for 48 hours or so. I know that Mona and Cece are out. But why would they call me?”

I shake my head back and forth silently.

Holbrook looks scarred, horrified and determined.

Determined to get the phone out of my hand.

But I see him and I pull out his way, press the answer button and put the phone up to my ear.

“Hello?” I say.

“Ah, the Red herring finally picks up her phone.” It is Mona’s voice that says that. I am surprised but I know I shouldn’t be.

“What do you want?” I growl. Holbrook Is standing across from me staring at the phone on my hand with a disapproving look on his face. I stick my tongue out at him. He doesn’t smile.

“That’s my question Alice,” Mona says suspiciously, “What do you want? Do you want fame, fortune, death, love, life, joy or Wesley dead? Oh wait, I get to choose this time. Wesley dead.”

It is like I’ve been thrown into the ocean during a raging tempest.

Like i don't have any arms to swim above the ocean,

Drowning.

again.

again.

again. 

The phone drops from my hand and clatters on the bathroom floor. Holbrook’s eyes turn dark but I am pushing him out the way as I scramble out the door and to the room in which Wesley sits.

Only it is empty and Wesley is gone.