Chapter 87: Unwelcome

CONTINUATION OF FLASHBACK:

He does the same thing as before. He keeps his distance but he follows me home. I can tell that he is very upset and somewhere deep inside me it breaks a couple of bones.

But then I think of Alison and I think of breaking my own bones.

What a thing to tell someone you love them after you stab them in the back.

It doesn’t take long until I am standing outside my house. I don’t stop walking. I open the gate and close it, signalling to Gabriel who has trailed behind me all the way from Alison’s house that he is not welcome.

So he kind of stops at the street corner and I do my best to try and ignore him as I open the door, go inside and close it.

I can feel the temperature in my heart drop a couple of degrees.

I have never shut him out like this and it physically hurts so badly and maybe I’m just insanely horrible or something like that but I can’t bear to see him. I just can’t bear to.

Because I don’t want to turn around and see the devastatingly hurt and damaged face that would only shatter me into pieces. Cause when Holbrook is hurt and he wants you to know it, he leaves nothing off his face.

And it is heart wretching.

I don’t sleep that night just the way I never sleep most nights. I don’t have any mother to put me to bed or father to read me story, not that they did that ever in the first place.

When I get up in the morning for school I avoid the front door. I already can hear the engine of Gabriel’s car parked out the front to drop me off just the way we did everday.

Instead I climb over backyard fences looking like the solemn ghost that I am, all the way until I hit school. I look like a train wreck. One of those ones where it is the drivers fault for the trains destruction. A suicidal train going off course. Foreshadowed to death.

No one says hi to me.

I don’t think I look very welcoming.

I’m late.

But it is okay because when I walk into class the teacher is not here yet. Just a bunch of students loitering in their seat. One of them is Alison. She is sitting in the front row texting on her phone and blowing on her nails. Not one reminant of last night on her whole being.

I turn slightly and I catch eyes with the one and only Gabriel Holbrook, sitting three rows back. I look away too quickly but not before I see the pure pain in his eyes. Something catches in my throat.

But I shake my head and walk up to Alison’s desk. I can feel Gabriel’s eyes follow me all the way there. She looks up at me abruptly with no emotion on her face.

“Last night never happened, okay?” I say hardly.