Chapter 68: The A Way To Hell

Annie looks at me gently.

But something else pops into my head that I desperately want to ask. But it’s not a suitable topic but then again, I can’t help myself.

“Your parents,” I say.

“Yes?” Annie says questioningly.

“They are dead,” I say.

“Yes,” she says oddly.

Its starts getting uncomfortable.

“Why? I say.

She shakes her head and laughs, “You are asking me why my parents suicided?”

I stay silent.

“It might be hard to see that other people apart from you can have problems to, but our family wasn’t in a good place for that last year in Ravenswood,” Annie says. “We were finically unstable. Our parents were constantly fighting and were filing for a divorce. Both our parents were fighting against depression and anxiety. We were set to move. The only thing that was really keeping us in that house was my brother. I think it had something to do with you.”

My heart is bleeding and I’m staring at the road like I am not seeing anything.

Gabriel never told me anything about that. He lived those years dealing with my problems and I never once knew what was going on with him.

“I saw it coming, but my brother didn’t. I think it was worse for him when the actually died. He had...lost a lot, I guess. With you and then our parents,” she says.

And all I can say is a weak, “And you didn’t stop them?”

“They were...unhappy,” Annie says gently. “I was too young to know what it actually meant. I did a lot of things with people that they found out about. For all I know they died because they were so ashamed of me.”

“And you blame yourself?” I say.

“I blame myself for a lot of things Alice,” Annie says.

It fell silent after that. We pulled off the highway half an hour later, entering Ravenswood for the first time after years.

It hadn’t changed.

Crows still infested the place and the town was still such a dull grey in every corner. But it was home of some of the wealthiest people in the country and the cars that roamed around the street embraced their wealth.

“I was hoping not to come back here again,” Annie said.

I raise my eyebrow at her, “Don’t your bad memories lie back in Rosewood?”

She looks at me, “Ravenswood has the atmosphere of a billion dead corpses.”