chapter 29

"Do you really think we can work; you and me?"

The question made Dom sink onto the floor, pressing his back against the wall. He had his legs stretched over the floor which made people have to step over them, but he didn't seem to care.

"I really want us to work."

The fact that he genuinely looked sad made Liv sit down next to him even though she was going to make it more obvious for anyone who knew them and passed them. She didn't touch him though and instead laid her hands in her lap.

"Me too, I promise. But we're both..."

She didn't really know how to describe it. She didn't even know what caused them to fight all the time.

"Fighters?" Dom tried finishing her sentence, and Liv shrugged and laughed.

"Yeah, but not in the good way."

Instead of laughing too, Dom sighed and his head fell back against the wall. "I really want to give us a try, Liv."

Liv was silent and watched the people passing them. None of them seemed to even notice Dom and Liv sitting on the floor.

"I like you and I know we don't always work well but we can try to find a way, right? We can learn from each other."

He sounded vulnerable, the most Liv had seen him so far. It made her think of what his mom said to her; that she had to take good care of her.

And Liv promised her. So it was unfair to give up so quickly.

Liv turned her head to watch him stare into the hallway and her eyes wandered down to his neck to look at the hickey she had given him a few days ago. It made her smile faintly and brush her fingers over it.

"You're right," she breathed out, which made Dom take his head off the wall as if he was relieved she said it.

Her fingers were still on his neck when he turned to look at her, but she quickly let them fall.

"You're not doing it just for me, are you?" Dom asked her, an insecure tone in his voice.

Liv grinned. "I don't buy flowers for people I 'kind of' like, Dom. I've never bought flowers for anyone in my life."

"So you don't like me?" Dom said, just to tease her because he obviously knew she meant the opposite. Liv rolled her eyes and shook her head fondly.

"Don't do that," she told him, "don't make me say it all the time."

"Why not?" Dom asked her. "I like it when you say it."

"You do, yeah?" she perfectly mimicked the tone he speaks in when he talks to her.

"I fucking-"

It was so obvious Dom wanted to pin her against a wall right there and then just to put her in her place, but he couldn't as they were in public and they still had to pretend they didn't like each other, which probably had failed already because sitting next to each other like this didn't look like hating each other.

"Don't tease me, please," Dom told her, almost whining. "I can't do that right now."

His hand was slowly creeping up her leg, and Liv watched it closely, her eyes following every move. When it stopped, she looked up, and Dom was the first to speak.