chapter 3

"Olivia."

Liv gave her history teacher a quick smile as a greeting as she thought the teacher just called her name to greet her. But she soon got stopped from walking to her desk by her teacher's hand on her shoulder.

"You can leave class."

"What?" Liv asked him in confusion. "I literally-"

"Mrs. Davis wants to talk to you," the man cut her off, explaining. "That's why."

Liv breathed out an "oh" as the teacher removed his hand from her shoulder and stepped back a little.

"Why?" Liv asked him, making him raise his shoulders before he turned back to the blackboard and continued writing down whatever he had been writing.

"I don't know, Olivia. There's only one way to find out, huh?"

Liv frowned for a moment but eventually nodded and turned around to leave the classroom, feeling how half of her class was staring at her. The teacher didn't seem so surprised Mrs. Davis wanted to talk to her again, as it happened more often, but Liv being in trouble was always something that seemed entertaining for her class.

She ignored the stares, though, and walked to the other side of the hallway as she knew Mrs. Davis's classroom was there. The door was already, or still, open and Liv was ready to happily greet the woman, when she saw who else was sitting there.

"Why?" Liv breathed out as her face had dropped. "I told you I don't want to talk to him."

"And I respected that," Mrs. Davis told her, telling Liv to come inside by motioning her over. "until Dominic told me what happened between you two yesterday."

Liv, who had told herself not to make any eye contact with Dom the entire time, turned her head towards him in a second to sneer at him. "Why the hell would you snitch?"

She let her eyes rest on the bruise for a moment, short enough for him not to notice it. The bruise looked worse than she thought it would be. His entire eye was surrounded by blue and purple skin. She didn't even know she could hit that hard.

"Oh so I was supposed to cover you up when Mrs. Davis asked me what happened to my eye?" Dom talked back, leaning back against the chair.

"Guys," Mrs. Davis jumped in quickly before they could start fighting. "Let's talk. Sit down, Liv."

Liv locked eyes with Dom one more time before she walked further into the classroom and sat down on the chair the teacher had pointed at. It was directly facing Dom, and Liv's first reaction was to turn it away so she could avoid looking at him.

"Turn it back please," the woman told her, staring at her until Liv looked up at her and did what she said. Mrs. Davis sighed when Liv did too, though, and then sat down next to Dom.

"I know you two aren't... friends," the teacher started, making Liv roll her eyes. "But physically fighting him is very unnecessary."

"He literally told me my friends should leave me," Liv told Mrs. Davis while looking down into her lap. "He could have fucking ignored me."

"She asked me how my dead brother was doing," Dom immediately defended himself. Liv knew she would make it worse, but she couldn't help but chuckle at Dom's words. She stopped herself from laughing quickly by biting her lip.

"You do realize that's not okay, right?" Mrs. Davis told her as her voice got slightly louder, starting to sound angry. Liv eventually looked up so she could not and say "I know", showing she meant it.

"Then why did you laugh?"

Liv raised her shoulders and looked down when she felt both Dom's and Mrs. Davis's eyes burning in her skin.