♡7♡

No, no, no, no, no.

This wasn't him.
This wasn't Chishiya.
He was never like this.

A loop.
A never ending spiral loop of emotions.
That's what you were sending Chishiya through.

Ever since you ran into him, quite literally, he hasn't felt the same.
He hasn't acted the same — at least, not around you.

He had never lost his stoic stare.
Had never felt so giddy before.
Had never felt so confused with his emotions.
For gosh sakes, he'd never even smiled genuinely till he met you.

What were you doing to him?

You said you were a psychologist — not that Chishiya remembered.
Maybe that's why you were able to read so closely between the lines, picking up small social clues that no one else could.

Your profession focused on the mind and it's behaviors; the ways it reacted to certain stimulants.

It had to be the reason.
Chishiya needed it to be the reason why he became so soft around you, so relaxed, so calm — you knew what buttons to push to make people ease away from their harsh exteriors.

Right?

You trained to help people open up, so it's the only explanation as to why he felt so comfortable around you.

You barely knew eachother and yet, he felt like he could share the rest of his life right you.
But only because of your expertise, you were able to break through the walls he had put up.

Right...?

He wouldn't allow this.
He couldn't allow himself to let this happen.

You were a shadow — in and out.
No one noticed your presence.

You're sneaky, and strong, and smart, and you used that to your full advantage around others.
To everyone else, you were a simple after thought.

So how were you the only think Chishiya could think about?

He had a plan to put into place, and a great one at that.
With you by his side, there shouldn't be any faults.

Any mistakes.
Neither missteps nor misplacement.
No distractions.

"Arisu and Usagi are here."

You.
As much as Chishiya admitted that you benefitted the plan, you were just as much a distraction to him.

"What?"
Arisu... Arisu....
"From the Game of Tag?"

You nodded.
"Yeah. Hatter just had some of the higher ups in a meeting to introduce them." You then glanced around the room from the far away wall Chishiya had decided to rest against.

People began piling in, shouting for the games to commence. "Their visas are ending today," you leaned into his shoulder to whisper. "So they'll have to join in the games."

Chishiya tried to clear his mind and create space between the two of you. You hadn't paid mind to the closeness of you and him, so everytime you moved, Chishiya felt his throat tighten slightly. "I-I see."

He directed his attention away from you and up towards the balcony where the people were shouting for Hatter.

"Hatter!!" The crowd cheered as he stepped into view. Most of the executive members — excluding you and him — joined Hatter up on the second floor.

He had to wonder why you weren't with him.
Instead, right by his side.

The crowd was silenced by the man himself and he leaned over the edge, eyes clouded by his dark glasses.

"My comrades," he started and Chishiya heard you scoff.

"The time has come again tonight. Do not falter. This is a war against fear. Everyone here has the courage to overcome their obstacles. Everyone here... is now one! We shall unite to gather all cards and return to the original world together. And... that day is upon us!!"

The people erupted in a high of confidence, all raising their hands and praising Hatter.
"Let's go!"

The people of the Beach began to clear out of the building, but neither you nor Chishiya made the same move.

"God, I didn't miss that," you grumbled, looking over your shoulder in disgust and stepping away from the blonde. "All this is, is an army to collect cards. It's pitiful."

Chishiya hid the surprise you gave him well.
It was the first time he had seen you so disgusted.
His chest swelled with something he couldn't explain and he felt like reaching out to you in reassurance.

No.
He shouldn't be wanting to help you.
He didn't know what helping others even was.
So why was he resisting the urge to put a hand on your shoulder?

"Oh, hey Kuina," you greeted to the girl that suddenly appeared at your side. She had the chapstick in her mouth and a pair of jeans slung over her arm.

"What the matter," she asked, nudging her head towards the two who had yet to move from the crowd.
Arisu and Usagi.

"Y/n and I shared a game with them," he explained, and for a second, remembered the feeling of being pushed aside by you.

You had sacrificed your safety to save him from the tagger.

Twice.

Kuina eyed the frightened Arisu and the disheveled but determined looking Usagi. "The two of them?"

"They might be useful," you said and shrugged. Kuina fully believed and waited for Chishiya to glare at you as if you were crazy.

But when the ends of Chishiya's lips tilted up and he nodded, Kuina couldn't help but smile.
"To our plan," he added.

She acknowledged the words before shifting away from the pair. "I'll be back. I've got to join the games."

You pulled her into a hug. "Be safe," you said, giving her hair a pat as she walked away.

Chishiya hesitated a glance at you.
For the most part, your face was relaxed, except for the furrow in your brows from the concern at Kuina's mention of the games.

Yeah.
You were a distraction...
But Chishiya didn't mind.

Not one bit.