♡35♡

JACK OF DIAMONDS
ROUND THREE
START

"It's you."

It's a hum that echoes. A sound of acknowledgment as if his eyes weren't already stabbing at your skin, taking note of your heavy breaths. "Did you know?"

"I assumed."
"Assuming will not ensure your survival."

You swallowed, more unstable now than when the game had first started. Your confidence dwindled down to low effort, childish scoffs.
"If you were in my shoes, I doubt you could've figured it out either," you sass, only to bite your tongue.

You weren't taking this very well, resorting to sarcastic comebacks to hide the nerves that you were drowning in.

And he wasn't pleased.
Not very happy with your inability to take charge and work through your panic, like all the times he's heard you've done from the King of Diamonds.

But he'd stretched out the game as long as he wanted. Just because he could; he could take his time during his turn, counting his points up, one by one, even if the suspense choked you.

He had the power being the Jack of Diamonds. He flaunted it proudly. And maybe the way he watched you lose your cool was enough of a motivator for him to continue.

Especially when you sighed loudly and placed your hands down on the table, hard enough to expressed the childish annoyance that stretched across your face.

"You had the highest points. For both past rounds. Most likely, you'll have the highest this time, and I'll die, and you'll continue being the great Jack of Diamonds."

Wow, you were really losing your cool.
Normally, it would be no problem. You'd slap on your classic smile, sit back, and play the game.
Then let a few minutes pass and you'd walk out unscathed.

But, now you had no confidence.
Just barely did you escape death the past two rounds. Majong was not a game you played in the past.

And it seemed to be the cause your downfall. Because there's no way you'd make it out of here alive. You'd join the two corpses by your side, unalive and drenched in blood.

So, yeah, you weren't processing your possible death as well as you have in the past.

The constant picking at your nails was getting painful and the tightness in your chest was enough to make you gag.

The Jack stared at you.
You stared back, only more exasperatedly.

Was your previous answer not good enough?
What more did he want?

"Look... you had the highest points. And there was something about you-your face." You ignored the slight raise of his brows.
"You looked bored, well, not bored, but disappointed. Like you were waiting for someone to have the highest points. Now it's obvious, if the other two were the Jack, the game would've ended."

Despite your wide eyes, stressed breaths, he just... stared. His face didn't waver. But for a second, his lips twitched.

"You're very observant," he finally said. "I'll assume that means you're smart."