♡14♡

Niragi steps out into the view of the crowd, his gun slung over a shoulder. "The leader has changed," he starts.

"Hatter is no longer with us. The new leader will be Aguni!"

In shock, the groups of people all turn to each other, conversing in a whisper.

Niragi huffs at the rising level of sound in the room.
"Shut up!"

Silence fills the air.

"It appears that Hatter failed in his game and could t return. Though majority vote among executive members," he continues and gestures to the members behind him — excluding you and Chishiya.

"It's been decided that Aguni will be the new Number One."

On cue, Aguni shows himself over the balcony, stone-faced and intimidating.
"Now..."

In sync, you and Chishiya turn away from the speech and back to where you reside; out of sight and only a few feet away.

Chishiya lifts the radio he has to his mouth. "The new leader is making a speech in the lobby," he says through to Arisu.
"All executive members and militants are at the annex. We won't get another chance like this."

He glances up at you from where you stood a little ways away from him. You lent against the wall to your right and were tossing your own radio up and down.

"I'll let you know if there are any chances."

There's was silence on the other end of the line, but Chishiya knew Arisu understood.

"Why'd you give me a radio if I'll never get the chance to use it," you asked with pouty lips, catching the radio in your hand and letting it rest there.

Chishiya had to drag his gaze away.
"For safety measures," he said and a thought came to mind.

"What do you think about Arisu and Usagi?"

Your attention moved away from the communicator in your hand, and over to Chishiya, who stood with an inquisitive tilt to his head.
"Arisu and Usagi, well," you trailed off and hummed in thought.

Chishiya (regretfully) felt his stomach flutter as you reached a hand up to softly scratch your head, thinking.

You're so cute.
Fuck.

"...and they're good people. I'm glad we have them on our side. It's hard to find people like them," you said and nodded as if to agree with yourself.

Chishiya opened his mouth to ask another question, but he hesitated.

"What...What about me."
"You're hot."

What.
If he had been walking, he would've surely tripped over his own feet.
You said that so boldly.

He felt his face warm at your blunt words.

"You're also smart, and I admire your intelligence," you added and Chishiya had to physically turn away — though he did his best to cover it up cooly.

His heart was beating too fast for his liking.
The butterflies in his stomach wouldn't stop fluttering.
He couldn't stop falling for you.

He didn't want to stop falling for you.
You could be the other half he needed.
The last remaining puzzle piece to his heart.

It would all make sense...

If you could forgive his for his plan.

You were clueless for what was about to happen the second Arisu found the safe.
Chishiya just wished it won't crush you and your hopes.

He needed you.

"I found it."

You perked up at Arisu's confirmation of the safe.

"So, what's the passcode?"

"It's eight-zero-two-two," Chishiya didn't hesitate to say, knowing he wasn't wrong.

"Did you see the contents of the letter," Arisu asks through the walkie-talkie and you can't help but wonder the same.

How did he know?

"No. Aguni's expression told me everything. He was surprised and perplexed by what was on the letter," he explains. "The contents must be empty."

"Empty?," Arisu echoes in a puzzled tone. "Then what about the passcode you told me?"

You peered at Chishiya's lips intently— a grin on them growing.

"The wax seal," he says. "It was embossed with the Boss' ring, and it formed the numbers that was the code itself: 8022."

There's a long pause before Arisu's words come in laced with approval. "I wouldn't want to be your enemy."

Chishiya's next moves surprise you; they're not part of the plan.

It takes him only a few seconds to catch Aguni's attention, the man's speech long over.

You grip one of the blond's sleeves in suspense.
What is he doing?

"Arisu is in the royal suite."

Chishiya's sentence is simple, but that's all it takes for you to be stunned into a state of muteness.

He just... he just betrayed Arisu.

Your body, weak with an electrifying shock and bone-shaking fear, moves after Chishiya.
Aguni, Niragi, and the rest of the militants head for the specified room.

Niragi hits the door open so hard that it slams into the wall. "You really came in so brazenly."

There's a certain terror to Arisu's face when he turns around to see Niragi bent over to face Arisu mockingly.

Aguni stands close behind, arms crossed over his chest.

Arisu's face drops when Chishiya steps into view, but there's a certain quirk in his eyebrows when you step next to the blond.

Your face is full of surprise: lips parted, eyes wide.
You look how Arisu felt.

Did you know something?

Arisu's focus is taken away from your features at the call for his name.

"Arisu!"
It's Usagi.
She gets dragged in, struggling against the grip of two militants.

"Usagi!"
In the split second Arisu tried to go after the girl, Niragi had put him right back on the ground.

"Stop shouting for Usagi, you BAKA," Niragi screams, kicking the poor boy relentlessly.

You can't stand the sight.
A part of you wants to lean into Chishiya's side for comfort, but the other side takes over and you resort to looking down, away from any eye contact.

"You saved me, Chishiya," Aguni says appreciatively, turning sideways. "You caught them thanks to your perceptiveness."

Chishiya follows the leader's discreet gaze and smirks. "No problem. It's what I should do."

You want to scoff, to frown in disbelief, to do anything with despise.

But you couldn't.
Your throat felt so tight that it hurt to even swallow.

Was everything a lie?

Everything...
Everything he ever said, ever did.

Was it all a lie?

Your thoughts clouded your senses so badly that you could barely hear Nigari when he shouted, "Bring him to the room!"

It should've done something to you.

Alerted your nerves.
Fired up your protectiveness.
Something to boost you forward.

But, it didn't.

You fell to your knees in defeat.