♡29♡

Never.
He meant that.
He meant that with all his heart, his soul, every damn cell in his body.

He would never break your heart, never leave you alone, never leave you broken and helpless. Never again.

Hurting you, breaking your trust back at the Beach did something to him. It ignited a fiery rage inside of him, that anger directed at himself.

You were possibly the best person he's ever met. You made him feel something. After the years he spent growing up, going to god forsaken medical school just to make it father proud, he felt something.

Not the bored, plain feeling everytime he was reminded he was smarter than his classmates. Or the drop in his stomach when he opened his acceptance letter. Or even the pain in his chest when his father hugged him, proud of him for the first time in his life.

He learned to cut off his emotions, learned that he couldn't be sympathetic, not in his profession. So he threw himself into a loop stoicism, providing a safe bubble for him and his thoughts.

But you popped that bubble.

He didn't feel anything till you threw out your arms and confessed you could fall for him. His heart had nearly exploded.

He's never believed in love, not at first sight, not slowburn, or even soulmates. But something about you could make him succumb and do all the cringey and corny things couples do.

Not could, have.
He's fallen for you.

You and your incredibly insane intelligence, your observation skills, your will to smile through hardships, and the sarcastic remarks you always manages to retort in response to his teasing.

You're independent. You could go on your day to day life without the need to lean on someone for support, to fight your way to the top without assistance.

And yet, you chose to lean on him.
You want his support, and want to give your own.
You want him and all of his flaws, enough to kiss them away, blissfully indulgent in his presence.

He found you in this shit-hole of a world. The weeks he spent before meeting you, he hadn't minded it.

Yeah, the games were dangerous, the visas weren't fun to keep track of, but it was a hell of a lot better than being back in the hospital, watching people die with nothing he could do to help.

But now, he had you. And seeing the hope in your eyes fade each time you approached a new game, a new way to end your life quicker than it was meant to end, it made his stomach twist.

He wanted to leave this world, and to bring you with him; bring you back to his apartment, show you his past, what he's afraid of, what he loves, his favorite meal to cook.

He wanted to let his fears go, let his walls fall, and welcome you into his embrace and never let you slip from his hold.

He wouldn't say this out loud, but he loves you. Him a few weeks ago would say it's silly to fall for someone he met a short time ago, but now, he couldn't wait to make you apart of his life.

All he had to do to get what he wanted was survive.
Easy enough.

Difficulty level: Jack of Hearts
Game: Solitary Confinement.

Rules.
Guess the card suit that appears on the back of your collar.
However, you may not look at the symbol yourself.

The time limit is one hour per round.
In the final five minutes, enter your cell and disclose your symbol.

Lights flicker, illuminating a long corridor. Cells line the hallway, rooms enclosed by huge, heavy metal doors.

If you do not answer with the correct symbol, it is game over.
The collar will explode and you will die.

Additionally, when the time limit reaches zero, the symbol on the collar will reset and change for each round.

"So that means we just have to ask each other what our symbols are," a man speaks up. He's in front of you, opposite side of the archway from Chishiya. "That's easy, huh," he chuckles in relief. Nervous hands play with his overalls.

"I'm not so sure," is the blond's reply. He crosses his arms over his chest and purses his lips. "They haven't told us what the conditions to win are yet."

The Solitary Confinement game is about how much you can trust your fellow players.

Be aware that your opponent, the Jack of Hearts, has already been placed among you.

How to win.
Rounds repeat every hour.
You win the game when the Jack of Hearts dies.

Prohibited actions.
Looking at your symbol with a reflective surface is cheating.
Players may not use weapons or violence to kill fellow players.

"This means that the only way this game will ever end is if the Jack gives the wrong answers," Chishiya mutters. "So, no one is getting out alive, unless they lie to the Jack."

There is no limit to the number of rounds.
Enough food has been provided.

The man himself doesn't need to turn around to see your face has lit up, the thought of actual food making you go giddy.

While participating in this game, no days will be removed from your visas.

"We better start lying." There's a tone in your voice, the lifted sound of your words indicate you're intrigued. "Find the Jack of Hearts, kill them off, or spend the rest of our lives stuck in this prison."

A step echoes as you shift between Chishiya and the man in the overalls. A smirk has taken over your lips, eyes reflecting the big white sign that reads off the circumstance of the situation.

"Now this, I'm interested in."