♡32♡

ROUND NINE
Fourteen dead.
Seven left.

Freedom was calling your name.

It seemed the catalyst that was Urumi finally came to an end with her death. She managed to kill off her entire group, even the two who were still alive after her death — the guilt of it all weighed too heavy upon their shoulders and they took their own lives.

And as you assumed, she was not the Jack, which slimmed your choices.

Either the emo freak with the bangs that made him look five, or the man in the business suit.

It wasn't Banda, or at least you assumed to your upmost ability.
He too closely resembled Urumi. Another one who enjoyed the chaos they could create with a simple sentence or a lie.

The disorder created by muttering the wrong symbol. He definitely took pleasure in it.

It couldn't be him, the smirk as he realized another had dropped dead in a pool of their own blood.
It couldn't be him, because his eyes had widened, pupils bloating just enough for you to catch after Urumi had died.

He was surprised, maybe he truly did think she was the Jack, only proving your point that he wasn't.

So that eliminated him as one of your choices.

You weren't sure of the business man. He kept to his corners, whispering sweet nothings into the woman's ear, never approaching anyone else.
There wasn't a lot for you to assume.

And the emo kid.
You just couldn't get past his bangs.

And as much as you wanted to pick him apart till you knew, something else had caught your wandering mind, filling your hearing with sniffling.

The sound of Ippei's broken breaths made your chest tighten.

"I don't think I can keep playing this game," he cried, words wrapped in tears. "How much longer?"

His hands closed into fists as he let his legs give out and his body hit the floor. Pushing himself back into the wall as if trying to escape through it, another round of tears soaked his cheeks.

"It's so messed up! I thought that... people were much better than this."

While you made no movement, too caught up in the hope that vanished from the man's voice, Chishiya had shifted.

"I'm sorry," the blond sighs, and your heart clenches in sorrow for the boy who only shakes in response. "But this is our reality now. Maybe we won't get out of this alive. But even so, all we can do for now is help each other so that we can get out this game."

You don't know what to say.
Ippei trembles, lips quivering and getting soaked in fallen tears.

The voice of an announcement rings out, ordering everyone to get back to their cells.

Feeling sorry for the boy, you help him up.
"It's okay," you muttered, only furthering the shakes of his shoulders. "We'll get out of this."

You lead him into his cell and watch as the door closes. Just barely, through the crack before it slams shut, you see Ippei collapse to his knees.

Quietly, you enter yours.
And being adjacent to Ippei's you hear his faint whimpering through the walls.

"Please give your answer."

You sigh and whisper out your symbol. It being wrong was the least of your worries. But it wasn't wrong because Chishiya had told you.

But Ippei hadn't said his. And the absence of his reply sparked a certain level of panic in you. "I can't," his voice seeps through the walls. "I can't do this

He wasn't going to answer.
You pressed yourself into the hard surface, realizing what was happening.

Cracks were forming in his psyche.
The pressure finally catching up to the boy in the cute overalls.
He's played the game as it was meant to, but the game has now played him.

A hearts game.
It had done what it was meant to do: break down the trust between players, make them question each other beyond the simple recognition of "can I trust you?".

And Ippei has fallen for it. The immense burden and mind-fucking has finally caught up to him.
He can't go on anymore.

"I won't do this!"

The explosion sounds right in your ear and you flinch back violently, a stuttered gasp crawling its way from your lips.

The pain returns in your stomach though it's paired with a hint of grief, shakiness developing in your hands.

The lock of your cell clicks and the door is pulled open. It's Chishiya.

His eyes are softer than usual, his lips downturned just enough for you to see. He approaches you and pulls you to your feet.

His voice is smooth and quiet when he speaks.
"You were too kind for this world, Ippei."