♡11♡

Chishiya shifted beside you, more than usual.
Something had his nerves spiked — you only sensed it after he sent you tiniest panicked glance.

You felt it too.
The anxious shuffling.
The impatient waiting tagged along by the incessant lip biting.

A sudden meeting concerning Hatter would have you at the edge of your seat if you had one to sit on.

"Hey, wait up," Niragi called to an approaching person, snapping you out of your consistent fidgeting. "Where did you guys come from," he asked. "We didn't ask you guys to come here."

It was Arisu and Usagi who flinched back in surprise at the large gun Niragi had slung over his shoulder.

"I called him over," Chishiya cut in, stepping into sight with his hands resting in his pockets.
You followed after, playing with the strings of your jacket.

Niragi sneered sarcastically. "Ya, don't go gathering people on your own," he scoffed and you stepped in between the two boys.

"I believe will be of importance to him as well," Chishiya said, voice echoing closer to your ears than you expected and you forced down the shiver that threatened to rise.
"Let's go," you said to cover up the warmth that spread from your chest.

Arisu looked down at Usagi, who showed the same hesitant gleam in her eyes.
"See you later," the male said and you sent the best reassuring smile you could.

Usagi nodded and turned away -- but not before returning a trusting half-smile at you.

Chishiya reached forward and pulled you back by the end of your jacket.

The three of you — being shadowed by Niragi and two others — stood at the rooms entrance.
"What happened," Arisu asked in a whisper, head turning side-to-side, searching for an answer.

"Who knows," Chishiya grinned loosely.
He really had no clue.
"It must be something serious."

You were the one to push the door open and lead the small group into the room.
The sight took you a few minutes of silence to comprehend and you were sure the confusion was clear on your features.

All executive members crowded a large table that was placed in the middle of the room.
Upon the table was a body.
Specifically, Hatter's body.

He was dead, right before you.

Your investigative instincts kicked in and your body went into over-drive, moving on its own.

Hopping onto the makeshift casket and ignoring all accounts of your actions being morbid and immoral, you crouched down to the body.

Colorless skin, unmoving limbs; all systems of life failed.

Your quick eyes sweep over his pale, lifeless body as you maneuvered your way across the table, taking in every aspect of the death you could.

No one reacted to you, not even Arisu — who found your analyzing technique far more than just weird.

Niragi gripped his gun tighter, waiting for the moment you went to touch the corpse, just so he could drag you away.

But you never did.
You kept your distance; even if it was barely four inches.

Chishiya couldn't help but be intrigued by you and impressed by your skills.
You're gathering information.
For him.

He struggled to keep his gaze away from the scene.

Hatter was dead.
Like a spotlight, all eyes were on him.
He was dead.

How?

Chishiya was glad that the man was no longer living; it helped keep his plan going.
Yet, it raised a certain suspicion.

It wasn't a normal game death.
It couldn't be.

Where was the blood?
Where was the burning laser hole?
Where was the proof of struggle?

Ann rushed into the room and her face morphed instantly.
Shock.

She joined you at the table — though not on it — and reached for the dead Number One.

Niragi stopped her before she made contact. "Oi, don't touch him as you please, psycho."

Your long stare finally ended when you looked up, hoping for more details. "What happened?"

Chishiya noticed how quiet your voice was.
It was... almost like you were challenging an answer.

Click.
You're testing the waters.

The blond squinted with interest.
What did you learn from the simple look-over of Hatter?

"It seems like he couldn't clear the game. The maintenance team found him by chance in Shinjuku while we were refilling gas."

Ann hovered her hand over the body, face blank with concentration.

Cracked, chapped lips.
Relaxed hands.
His chest had a small hole that had a ring of discoloration around it.

To anyone, it looked like-
"He was shot by a gun," Ann said and she stood straight. "Did his game involve guns?"

You locked eyes with Chishiya.
Your gaze was hard and a streak of hesitation ran across your pupils.

"Most likely," the guy who led Ann into the room said. "Some of those near the game area heard gunshots too."

You shook your head.
It was minuscule and barely there...
But Chishiya caught it.
And his heart jumped for two reasons.

He reciprocated the gesture to Arisu when the boy faced him in question.

This was bad news and good.

Good: because, it meant Chishiya didn't have to worry about Hatter getting in the way of his plan.
Bad: because, who the hell killed Hatter?

The motion you gave the blond told him everything he needed to know.
Bless you and your skills.

Someone standing in the circle gulped and asked the question everyone needed the answer to.

"What's going to happen to the beach?"