♡23♡

"I know who it is."
Even though the room was silenced from shock settling in, it became unbearably quiet at Arisu's words. His words seemed like a blasting screech to the ears, though all it provided was more numbing silence. "I know identity of the real witch," Arisu spoke, shaking from his position on the floor. 

He struggled, his weak limbs barely providing support. And with each effort to stand, Usagi's gripped on you tightened, her breath becoming more hollow with the boy's pitiful moves.

You watched the bloody boy speak through a veil of your own blood, eyes narrowed and pained.
"You always see the game master's characteristics in a game," he said shakily. Wincing, his lips pulled back to expose his stained teeth. "In a Hearts game, it always makes a fool out of everyone. Maybe... there really is a way to end the game without killing anyone."

Usagi gasped quietly from beside you, and glanced down at your stone-cold face. If anyone knew a way to end a Hearts game without death, it would be you. But as she scanned your face for answers, her chest felt tight. 

You eyes didn't have the light to them she's seen before, the light that shows through when you've figured out something. All she saw was darkness and confusion that Arisu caused. "A solution," you questioned, making the heads of those left alive in the Beach turn to you. "Where no one has to die?"

Chishiya gulped, looking down at you from his balcony hiding spot. He couldn't see the gears in your head turn, no thought running through your mind. He knew you didn't believe in a Hearts game that could end without suffering. You expression made it hard for him to swallow. Seeing you in such a state of loss felt like someone had wrapped their hands around his neck, choking him.

"But that's impossible," someone spoke up in the crowd, voicing the blank stare you had. "We have the find the witch and burn them in the Fire of Judgment, right?"

Arisu said nothing, instead he whipped his head over to you, where you laid in Usagi's arms unmoving and seemingly hopeless. The boy knew he had to convince you that what he was saying could happen.

He believes you are the only person who can understand what he's saying, you just need a push. With his eyes locked with yours, he looks beyond your shoulder, then back to you with a deep stare and lips tightening into a thin line.

You exhale. It's like a breath of giving up, but it only make's Arisu's jaw tighten. He needs you to understand. With his words, there's only a few on his side, but you, everyone loves you. You've protected them from the militants for all long as anyone can remember; going against Niragi, and even Aguni. You have to understand.

Through his face, he masks his pain with a rough tilt of his head, gesturing behind you where Momoka lays, lifeless. He's telling you to look. Which you do, despite feeling like it's hopeless. You don't know who the witch is, and you don't have a clue where to start.

Momoka lays on her side, her striped bathing suit soaked in the blood that finally stopped running from the knife wound that resides a few inches down from the base of her neck. 

You scan her.
You think.
And still, still you don't understand.

It's frustrating.
Because who the hell would kill that young girl.
When Momoka came to the beach, you welcomed her, even introduced her to Asahi, who clicked with the terrified girl right away.

No one hated either of them.
No one had any reason to kill Momoka, and leave Asahi in a state of grief.
No one.

So why?
Why can you see the pale face of the girl who was bright, like a breath of fresh air in the beach, dead?
She would have never been killed by anyone, unless she took her own life.

You inhaled so hard, the breath got caught in your throat, sticking to the side of your mouth.
Your head turned back to faced Arisu so quick that your vision hazed over for a moment.

It has to be.
She has to be the witch.

Chishiya watched as your shoulders tensed, a quirk of a grin reaching your lips.
And his interest peaked.

"No."
Your voice was loud, was bold, and it rang through the room like a speaker. Standing quicker than your injured body liked, you got to your feet, staggering, but standing.

Arisu's breath escaped him.
You've figured it out.

"There's a witch candidate that makes it possible," you mutter. "Makes it possible for all this death to be unnecessary."

All the attention was on you, on the bruised finger that you raised towards the dead girl, everyone never gave a second thought to. "It's possible... if the witch is Momoka."