♡27♡

NEXT STAGE START

You glared at the sign and sighed, letting yourself lean farther back into Chishiya's legs. No way this is happening.

That was a lie.
You knew this was supposed to happen: get all the number cards, then the face cards.
But the low grumbling of the blimps played like a record in your ear, not stopping and just loud enough to annoy you.

"None of the games have started yet," Arisu noted the obvious, but he was right. There's no registration areas, no phones for them to pick up, no one else but them.

"Maybe we still have time," Usagi said, glancing around at the barren streets.

You felt when Chishiya huffed, slipping his hands into the pockets of his new pants. "Or they forgot to push the big red start button."

Wouldn't that be nice?
No more games, no more death.
That would make everything much easier, though surviving in a city where more than half of the people have died doesn't seem like the best circumstance.

And you weren't sure you were ready to start repopulating.

"They didn't even tell us about the rules for this one," Kuina adds. Sitting a few feet away from you, she turns when you rise to your feet.

Slowly, you stand. With help from Chishiya it makes makes getting up less painful, hooking his hands under your arms.

When you face him, he sees you're frowning, the corner of your lips dipping as you look around, displeased. "I think it's safe to assume our own rules," you sigh. "Survive."

The wind picks up, blowing trash around and lifting debris into the air. Your hair gets tossed around, strands moving out of place and Chishiya stops himself from smoothing down the pieces himself.

He watches your focus switch to the floor.
Then he feels it.

Rumbling.
It's faint, barely there.
But it's enough to catch his attention, as well as everyone else's.

Usagi inhales softly, taking a few steps away from the group. She looks around warily, eyes searching the desolate surroundings.

"What is it," Kuina questions. She puts a palm to the pavement, feeling it trembled beneath her touch.

"I hear something."

Following her focus, the group steps closer to her. Cars round the corner, plenty of them, swerving and slowly down around you.

"Beach people."
"Didn't know so many survived," you mutter, letting yourself lean close to the blond and glance over his shoulder at the cars.

Their engines fade and doors are pushed open and people step out.

Seeing the five of you, the Beach people approach, looking just as lost as you felt when an hour passed by without anything happening.

"What is it," Arisu asks. He directs his question to a woman and a man, both who you've seen before around the mosh pits and blinding dance floors. "What are you doing here?"

The man shuffles, pointing to the sky. "We saw the blimps show up. There are rumors that the next stage is starting."

"Right," Arisu trails off, biting at his lip. "Here's the thing-"

Arisu never gets to finish his sentence.
He's cut off by a bang, a loud gunshot that sends man flying, hitting the floor with half of his torso ripped through.

You inhale so harshly you practically choke it down. You flinch, your stomach tightening up enough for a splash of pain you wash over you.

Chishiya grabs your hips and brings your chest together, turning around just in time for the woman to hit the floor next, a pool of blood appearing almost immediately.