Chapter 14: Our Secret

Let's revisit the timeline.

Runze runs into Liu Ying escaping assassins sent after her in Wei City. Assassins hired by people of the royal family in the Western Empire! They wanted her dead so that the marriage of alliance with my cousin will fall through, and they could blame it on his majesty. But Liu Ying doesn't know that.

Liu Ying and Runze parted ways after that. She ended up taking a job painting at the brothel to make a living while practicing her art. While there on a business meeting, Runze happens to run into Liu Ying getting harassed by the Minister of Justice's son. It was that night that I ended up being the one to help her, and that idiot Runze dragged me into the river. 

I am thinking he went back for her. 

My conclusions has led me to believe that Liu Ying is now cohabiting with Runze in his manor. This is were all the juicy and romantic stuff happens! Wish I was there to see it. Of course seeing PDA in real life is super annoying. Perhaps it's best I am not there to witness. However, I've been quite bored without an enticing drama to watch.

It is during the Lantern Festival that Hong Liumeng first meets Liu Ying. In the novel, he tries to pursue her without success. That obsession turns into anger, and he kidnaps her! She escapes him and injures his face, leaving a horrendous scar. He was later exiled due to his history of terrible crimes, kidnapping the soon-to-be Crown Princess was the icing on the cake. After that... he was completely forgotten. 

I shuddered. I don't know what awaits me out there if I get exiled...

"Young Master?" Xiao Yang interrupted my anxious thoughts.

"Hm?"

"Why have you not been using the bedpan?" He couldn't look me in the eyes and stared at the ground. His fingers wrapped around one another tightly.

I felt my face turn hot with shame. "Why are you asking me that?"

"It's just... I normally empty your bedpan, but you haven't been using it. Have you been unwell?"

"Xiao Yang! Don't tell me how to do my business. I-- I'm just not comfortable using it, so I've been using the outhouse." He flinched as I raised my voice. 

"The outhouse? The one located all the way in the servant's quarters? Isn't that far for you?"

"I-- It's fine! I can hold it when needed. I'm not using the bedpan anymore. I don't like it."

"Perhaps... Young Master has become shy towards Xiao Yang?" He wondered out loud.

"Xiao Yang! You-- Just don't talk about this anymore!" I scolded him. 

This little servant, really! I'm worried about contents of the story, and he's wondering why I'm not shitting in a bedpan?! 

A little maid from the courtyard entered my chambers. She bowed and lowered her head before saying, "Young Master, Physician Huang is here to see you."

What's he doing here?

I walked out to greet him. He looked as stoic as usual. "What you come here for?

"Did you forget? We had plans to spend time at the Lantern Festival."

Confused, I squinted my eyes. "What are you talking about? You made that up to dissuade my sister from going with you."

"And will you allow me to look like such a liar?"

"Yes. You dug this hole yourself."

I had decided to stay away from anything that could change the storyline, which meant avoiding the Lantern Festival, avoiding Liu Ying, avoiding Li Runze.